Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was just surfing the net for some parts for the stang when I came across what looks like a pretty good deal. This catback exhaust from protuninglabs for $255.99. It seems like a pretty good deal. The quality seems good too because its made from 304 stainless steel. Not only that but they say that it gives a dyno-proven 20-25 horsepower/low end torque increase. It seems like a good deal just for sound and for the quality of the exhaust if its made from 304 stainless. Anybody ever heard of them or seen them on a mustang. I've been looking everywhere and can't find a mustang with them not sure if they are just a new product or what. Overall it looks good to me because you can get a catback for much less than what it would cost to get an axle back exhaust. Any opinions on them guys?

http://www.protuninglab.com/cbe-fm1...ooglepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=140894047498

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
First off there is no way that you will see gains on 2-25 hp.

Second comment would be it says the inlet is 2.25 which is stock size. I believe most aftermarket cat backs are 2.5.

Lastly my biggest worry with something this cheap and a no name brand is overall quality and fitment and not just type of metal. If it's poorly welded you can have the welds crack or if it's not properly designed you can have the exhaust rub or rattle which will be a big annoyance when driving the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
pro tuning has a bunch of negative reviews....as Star mentioned the HP claim is dubious (and by dubious probably a lie) price is nice and it looks shiny in the photos but I would not expect it to be a great value.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
For just $250, give it a try. I have a $500 mistake sitting in my toolshed :(. Keep us updated on how it does and last :).

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
You cant even get two quality mufflers for that price, let alone an entire assembled system. I'd bet they're cheap, hollow, mufflers that are going to sound like doo doo.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't expect much either and the horsepower I assumed from the start would probably be a false claim. As for fitment they have pictures where they have measurements of the exhaust and I think the pipe is 2.42 inches. With the measurements it actually looks like they did their homework that's probably the only reason I considered them from the start because it looks like they thought things out when making them. But with al the negative reviews I have seen from the company and the fact that I haven't seen one installed on a mustang or even seen a video makes it a bad deal for me. I did shoot them an email anyways and I'll see if they give me more info to share with the rest of you.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Its rare for a YouTube video not to be made by the manufacture of an exhaust system or at least by someone who has bought and installed them. I wouldn't trust them but still its only $250 :(

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hello

You get what you pay for.

Save your money and buy real exhaust when you can afford it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Hopefully you don't pay $250 and get nothing in return...

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

·
Registered
737 Posts
HP increase?

How would you see gains when you're just replacing stock pipe with this garbage?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'm also guessing a thinner gauge piping.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
The old adage "You get what you pay for" applies a lot here. Just save up your money, get something from Magnaflow or Borla and do it right the first time

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I'm definitely not very interested unless I got it for like 50 bucks and that would just be to try it out. But anyways if anyone was still interested I got a little more info and emailed another company that protuninglab told me is the manufacture who then sent me to some sort of retailer speed-daddy.com These are the guys that sell the cheap eBay turbo kits and the cheap CAI's for our cars. Anyways they have a video and although I admit I listened to it kind of at a low volume it doesn't really sound half bad. Anyways its good to be informed and have this thread up for anyone who considers it in the future so I'll keep investigating and let you guys know.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just realized I should have also asked for them to show me these dyno proven numbers I'll definitely try to get that too but it probably won't happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't do it. $250 catback is more than likely going to sound like crap. Save you money and get something good. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

1 - 16 of 16 Posts