Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 gt with a Bama tune. Will it hurt anything or make the car run differently if I hallow out the cats?

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Haha. That's old school... I like it!

No. It won't hurt anything except for ruining what I presume is a functioning set of catalytic converters.
Also, if you don't weld a pipe going through the now empty catalytic converter shell, it will cause a disturbance in the exhaust flow at low RPM's, which may cause a loss of low RPM torque.
The engine will run fine, but you will likely trigger a code saying that the cats aren't working.
Personally, I don't think that there is much to gain nowadays by hollowing out the cats. They really aren't that restrictive, and you can purchase "off-road' or "test" exhaust systems to delete the cats.
Hollowing out cats was more popular decades ago, especially here in California.... Trying to fool the "man".... lol

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It will fail inspections if you have them, possibly hurt resale value (I'd personally never buy a car with altered emission equipment), it IS a federal crime to tamper with factory installed emissions equipment (not that that stops anyone), and it will stink to high heaven. Question is why do you want to hollow them out?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts