Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Cat delete smell like overloading on fuel?

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 ·
08 mustang gt cat delete now the car smells of like the fuel is rich coming from the exhaust is that normal? Am I just paranoid? I plan to order a tune today...but some say if I dont do a cat delete then it will continue to run rich?

#5 ·
I guess it depends on where you live. When I went FI / Headers, my installer/tuner advised me not to go catted (I was going to until then). I'm told that it's not a matter of IF but rather a matter of WHEN the cats would get clogged, and probably destroy the engine (if not caught right away).

I took his advice, he did the install / Dyno-tune, it runs great and has a minor objectionable odor on startup / idle only. Once it's warmed up, it has VERY LITTLE noticeable odor at idle.

I have a couple of options if I need an inspection (which I don't since I register elsewhere). I can throw the catted H-pipe on there and go get it inspected, or I can go to one of many shops around here that don't look for cats.

My O2's are NOT turned off in the tune, and I get NO codes, and NO "Not Ready" signals. He's a great tune guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.