Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that you can gain horsepower by removing your catalytic converter. But can you just remove the catalytic converter and have the space welded back up with exhaust pipe. Or how do you go about doing that.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Jsmorley81 said:
I know that you can gain horsepower by removing your catalytic converter. But can you just remove the catalytic converter and have the space welded back up with exhaust pipe. Or how do you go about doing that.
Bbk makes a cat delete and so does jegs

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Jsmorley81 said:
You could do that if you wanted, or buy like the JBA h or x pipe with cat deletes.

Just make sure you don't live in an area that does inspections. Also your car will get very loud.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jsmorley81 said:
You'll need a tune too.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you remove the cat i need a tune?

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

I know the check engine light turns on but i didnt know you needed a tune to remove cats

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
OzzyLiriano said:

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

I know the check engine light turns on but i didnt know you needed a tune to remove cats
You don't technically. But yes you will have a check engine light.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
just like everyone stated, buy an offroad mid pipe or just the cat deletes, keep it modular, the whole exhaust is bolted together, no welding required.

then TOON
+1 Should you live in an area that does inspections, keeping the exhaust modular would allow you to swap it out for your stock catted H before you get an inspection.:good:

American Muscle 2010-13 H-Pipes

·
Registered
903 Posts
Man if you go with doing away with cats,then I highly recommend to not buy the delete pipes like BBK.They will not just fit like you may think.You will need to weld in.If not you will later wish so. If you want decent price on a O/R-X pipe that you can bolt in to..... I assume you have aftermarket exhaust.The UPR is hard to beat for price.249.00. The inspection is a big deal if you live where its tight. Even if you know somebody and can get by on visual it's still not gonna pass. With the tune the rear 02's are off.
One important thing IMO is if you dont tune for the O/R-X you will not only throw codes but more importantly is you will not be getting the gains from it.You can pick up a good 15 RWHP by doing it and a tune for it.May be 17 or 13 but 15 is not unusual at all to see. JMO

·
Registered
23 Posts
OzzyLiriano said:

Technically you don't, but the rear o2 sensors will turn on your check engine light, plus your mustang has a safety feature in which it dumps fuel to your cats when they are over heating, without a tune turning that feature off without the cats, your car will run rich causing your car to sacrifice performance and waste fuel.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
asmith2109 said:
Technically you don't, but the rear o2 sensors will turn on your check engine light, plus your mustang has a safety feature in which it dumps fuel to your cats when they are over heating, without a tune turning that feature off without the cats, your car will run rich causing your car to sacrifice performance and waste fuel.
No wonder i feel like im sophicating everytime im my boys stang

1 - 11 of 11 Posts