Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to delete my cats I have basini xpipe and flowmaster thunder cat exhaust I've heard it's ok to do that as long as u keep flowmaster on for back pressure?

·
Registered
488 Posts
M97cobra said:
Wanting to delete my cats I have basini xpipe and flowmaster thunder cat exhaust I've heard it's ok to do that as long as u keep flowmaster on for back pressure?
Do you have stock manifolds if so you will be fine

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
M97cobra said:
Back Pressure is a myth!.. It is not needed!.. Know a guy with a '99 Cobra, LTs, O/R X-Pipe, and no mufflers!.. Has zero problems!..

·
Banned
8,779 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Eturner said:
Back Pressure is a myth!.. It is not needed!.. Know a guy with a '99 Cobra, LTs, O/R X-Pipe, and no mufflers!.. Has zero problems!..
Except hearing problems :lmao:
And poor taste ;)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
My 88 GT was straight piped. It didn't fail on the power front, not so much as the back-pressure advocates would have you believe, and it could deafen you from a mile away with its 4 inch dual exhaust.

In fact, I was petitioned by my neighbors to put the cats back on because it was so loud and I worked such late/early hours that, coming home, anything above an idle would rattle windows and send cats into hissing fits.

God, I loved that little Fox. It was a rat-bagged monster, but it was my first Mustang and I'll always remember it.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Mkolabin said:
My 88 GT was straight piped. It didn't fail on the power front, not so much as the back-pressure advocates would have you believe, and it could deafen you from a mile away with its 4 inch dual exhaust.

In fact, I was petitioned by my neighbors to put the cats back on because it was so loud and I worked such late/early hours that, coming home, anything above an idle would rattle windows and send cats into hissing fits.

God, I loved that little Fox. It was a rat-bagged monster, but it was my first Mustang and I'll always remember it.
One of the reasons people think you lose low end power is because you gain so much more on the high end!.. It actually feels like you lost on the low end, when in reality you didn't!..

·
Registered
344 Posts
Exactly!

And that thread on the myths of back-pressure; awesome!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Mkolabin said:
Exactly!

And that thread on the myths of back-pressure; awesome!
Thanks!.. They were three different wright ups that I found from different sites!.. I reed through them and figured they could explain it better than I can!.. Lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks!.. They were three different wright ups that I found from different sites!.. I reed through them and figured they could explain it better than I can!.. Lol
Summary: Back-pressure isn't a myth, however; it is not as important as many people believe it is.

:)

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Lol who started that thread?!?.... :)
:lol: Came in handy didn't it? ;)

The trick in exhaust is to balance the flow and velocity. To much of either and it negatively affects performance. The best performing set ups I've seen for boosted engines start out at 2.5" off the headers, expand to 3" through the mufflers and end up at 3.5" out the tailpipes. This system basically forms a "reverse" funnel that allows the hot exhaust gases to flow and expand faster and more efficiently as they are pushed out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Such a tired discussion..
I agree.

Unless, of course, you account for all the people out there who don't know, then it's a great discussion to keep having. And, heck, it equals posts and visits, right? That can't be bad for ME or for me either.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

The trick in exhaust is to balance the flow and velocity. To much of either and it negatively affects performance. The best performing set ups I've seen for boosted engines start out at 2.5" off the headers, expand to 3" through the mufflers and end up at 3.5" out the tailpipes. This system basically forms a "reverse" funnel that allows the hot exhaust gases to flow and expand faster and more efficiently as they are pushed out of the exhaust.
The "3" is right next to the "4" on the keyboard.

I'm not insane.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have pypes OR H pipe and Pypes Muffler deletes! So i def have the loudest car in my town! Lol! I love not having cats!

·
Banned
8,779 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Trojan Horse said:

Just slightly!.. :)

You are right about the Flow and Velocity and how to much of either can affect your performance!.. And I also agree with you about the pipe sizes too!..

·
Registered
344 Posts
Up above there, I typed that my pipes were 4 inches at the tips. I mistyped.

I just didn't want anyone thinking I was crazy, and after I read your post, I noticed my own and was all, "What what what?!"

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Jake said:
I have pypes OR H pipe and Pypes Muffler deletes! So i def have the loudest car in my town! Lol! I love not having cats!
Some buddies of mine at work: "We can tell when your running late!.."
Me: "How's that?!?....."
Buddies: "Because all we hear from a mile down the road is, VVRRROOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!......"

:)

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Mkolabin said:
Up above there, I typed that my pipes were 4 inches at the tips. I mistyped.

I just didn't want anyone thinking I was crazy, and after I read your post, I noticed my own and was all, "What what what?!"
You are like the rest of us!.. You drive a Mustang, and you like to modify it!.. So there for you are Crazy!...

Hi!.. Welcome To The Nut House!...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts