Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Performance could suffer with low end torque, sound is terrible most times. One set of high flow cats are nice.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
back pressure is a myth...exhaust velocity is all you need to be concerned with. low end suffers but the power is now shifted to the top end so just depends on what kind of driving you do. Honestly on a stockish application it's not that big of a difference. Sound can suffer but with a good midpipe and mufflers it can sound great.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
If I take of my cats what would happen? Sound and back pressure thanks
You dont need back pressure, thats a myth. The problem is usually related to someone using too big of tubing, this causes the gases to swirl in the pipe decreasing the air velocity and hp/tq. So most people think "oh I lost power, I must need more "backpressure"". The fact is you need to maintain higher velocity.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

back pressure is a myth...exhaust velocity is all you need to be concerned with. low end suffers but the power is now shifted to the top end so just depends on what kind of driving you do. Honestly on a stockish application it's not that big of a difference. Sound can suffer but with a good midpipe and mufflers it can sound great.
Haha, you must have been quicker to post, I just said the same thing!

·
Registered
748 Posts
i took my cats off. as said above low end torque will be transfered to top end. sounds amazing. will upload a video of my Catless divorced dual flowmaster exhaust soon for you to hear!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crowned1 said:
i took my cats off. as said above low end torque will be transfered to top end. sounds amazing. will upload a video of my Catless divorced dual flowmaster exhaust soon for you to hear!
Ok ha

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
You dont need back pressure, thats a myth. The problem is usually related to someone using too big of tubing, this causes the gases to swirl in the pipe decreasing the air velocity and hp/tq. So most people think "oh I lost power, I must need more "backpressure"". The fact is you need to maintain higher velocity.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Haha, you must have been quicker to post, I just said the same thing!
yeah it's actually something i get into arguments at work all the time over lol. i'll hear my GM tell customers that a certain exhaust will change this and that and cause an increase or decrease in back pressure...which usually means i have to re-pull the customers to the side and re explain things :lmao:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Myths=Opinions=same 'ol sh1t, different post.
This is a clear to understand article after 10 year study regarding exhaust/back pressure/mufflers, ect......Auto Exhaust Science

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1slosix said:
yeah it's actually something i get into arguments at work all the time over lol. i'll hear my GM tell customers that a certain exhaust will change this and that and cause an increase or decrease in back pressure...which usually means i have to re-pull the customers to the side and re explain things :lmao:
Also I always wondered since mufflers have chambers and stuff like that can a muffler be restrictive?? And if u took off the mufflers wat would happen performance wise? Lol

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Also I always wondered since mufflers have chambers and stuff like that can a muffler be restrictive?? And if u took off the mufflers wat would happen performance wise? Lol
i didn't really notice any difference going from flow 40's to straight pipes but the noise level. i'm wanting a happy medium so flow 10's will be going on soon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts