Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on doing a gear and diff change in my 97 GT.

I have:

SCT SF3 Power Flash Tuner with 3 Custom Bama Tunes
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears - 8.8"
Motive Gears 8.8" Rear End Installation and Bearing Kit
3 quarts Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 Gear Oil · Ford Racing Traction – LOK Limited Slip Differential – 28 Spline

I believe I need:

LOK Rebuild Kit w/Carbon Discs
Orange - 20 tooth speedo gear
6 Tooth Drive gear
Ford Racing Differential Cover 8.8” (possible since its open)

Am I missing anything or is there something that I don't need? I'm in Japan so I can't just leave the car on a lift and run to Advance Auto. Lol.

·
Registered
811 Posts

I have:

3 quarts Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 Gear Oil · Ford Racing Traction – LOK Limited Slip Differential – 28 Spline

I believe I need:

6 Tooth Drive gear

Am I missing anything or is there something that I don't need? I'm in Japan so I can't just leave the car on a lift and run to Advance Auto. Lol.
Yeah haha that sucks not havin autozone. What branch of service u in?

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,878 Posts

I have:

I believe I need:

6 Tooth Drive gear

Polar Bear,

Yeah that sounds like just about everything to do a gear swap in a 1997. Some of that stuff is optional but like you said, since its open It's definitely a good idea to replace it!

Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance with the install! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266.

Thank you for your Service!

-Dan

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Help! Contacted AM for parts and it seems as though they don't carry the 6 tooth speedometer drive gear for the automatic. The one on their site is for the T5 transmission. Any idea where I can find this little but necessary part?

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Help! Contacted AM for parts and it seems as though they don't carry the 6 tooth speedometer drive gear for the automatic. The one on their site is for the T5 transmission. Any idea where I can find this little but necessary part?
You can do your speed calibration through a tuner. You do not need to change the speedo drive gear.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if I have a manual transmission I can buy a $15 dollar part from AM but automatic require a $144? My god.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why couldn't customer service at AM tell me this? This is becoming a disheartening procedure and the car isn't even on the lift yet.

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

Pretty much.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Why couldn't customer service at AM tell me this? This is becoming a disheartening procedure and the car isn't even on the lift yet.

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

Thanks for the help.
Thats very dissapointing.... Good luck man.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts

Thanks for the help.
It's just a bigger stepping stone to getting it done.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
American Muscle (Bama Tuning) is telling me that isn't the case with a pre 98 model.
I know on the old sct tuners you could adjust the gear ratio. When i had, and i mean had damn virginia drivers when i was stationed in norfolk, my 07 v6 i adjusted my gear ratio on my sf3 tuner. I still have it though i need to unlock it to use on my 96 however i may just aquire the one im looking at thats the same exact one i have. With that tuner i could do so much more than i can witg these new ones

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Oh and btw there may be a way to set ratios right using another speedo from a different car. Ill look into it and confirm if it can be done

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds good. My concern is less that the speedometer is off on daily driving but every two years the car has to go through a thorough white glove inspection and speedometer verification is one of this steps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts