Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get an 8.8 t-lok differential with 3.73 gears for my '01 V6 manual mustang:rolleyes: . So I was wondering if I have to switch out my whole differential for the 8.8 to fit. If so, where can I buy a new 8.8 differential?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
any local shop or junkyard could get you one, but i'd be wary of the quality of the product... you can order one online from some mustang websites... www.crossroadzdirect.com , www.gefracing.com are a couple of good sites. it'll cost a good amount to ship something that big though, so you're better off finding a respected shop that knows mustangs

btw, this should be in drivetrain

:)

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
^the difference is that his was from a foxbody stang... ooooolddd

lol

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
dark said:

lol
Age really does not matter when you are dealing with solid Steel rear end and it is going on a V6 not a 1000 HP dragster!!!

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Danger Dude said:
Age really does not matter when you are dealing with solid Steel rear end and it is going on a V6 not a 1000 HP dragster!!!
True, but I prefer a bolt-on version rather that having to take the rear apart to swap in my spindles and everything. That's just my thoughts on it.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
That is true but it is all about price and availibility. I personally dont understand swapping to a 8.8 90% of the people doing it are not going to ever need it. But like i saids if you can get it cheaper than installing gears and tlok on the 8.8 then go for it.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
dark said:

lol
nothing wrong with my 8.8. It was in a 6 second (1/8th) car before mine so if it can handle that it can handle what I throw at it.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
232stang said:
what exactly do you need to do for the swap because i have been wanting one for months now
depends on the year in which you get the 8.8 out of. If you get it out of a 99+ Gt and you have a 99+ V6 all you do is take your 7.5 off put the 8.8 on. Its a direct swap. If you get it out of a 94-98 GT and you have a 99+ V6 you will need to swap the axles but after you do that its a direct swap

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Danger Dude said:
That is true but it is all about price and availibility. I personally dont understand swapping to a 8.8 90% of the people doing it are not going to ever need it. But like i saids if you can get it cheaper than installing gears and tlok on the 8.8 then go for it.
Ya, that's true! But I guess you can kinda say I'm lazy sometimes when it comes to work, since I prefer to do my own work. Whern I did my rear, I put in 3.45's because I got them dirt cheap, but now I think I want to go to 3.73's so we'll see what I can find. I'm sure the 3.73's will add a little more "oomf" :wtf2: to my car.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
in the end its better to just buy a full 8.8 rear end from places such as http://www.speedconcepts.net install is easy and just pour lube in it and go driving (after breaking in the gears easy that is) cost 850~ to your door.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
i want to upgrade my back end (v6, 5spd, 2000) with 3.73 rear gears and an 8.8 trac-lock...where do I buy? (and is this what i should get?)
thanks,
Kyle

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
A t-loc is also know as posi-traction, or a limited slip differential. there are to types of differentials. You have a open which comes stock in our V6's. And Open differential only has one tire that provides power to the ground from the rear-end assembly. A L/S differential provides power to both wheel, and by design provides power to the wheel(s) with the least amount of resistance.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
thanks, that helps, do u know a good website to get the 3.73's and the 8.8 limited slip differential that will fit my stang
thanks,
Kyle

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
KyleUSAF said:
thanks, that helps, do u know a good website to get the 3.73's and the 8.8 limited slip differential that will fit my stang
thanks,
Kyle
Well if you want a new rear-end, go to www.speedconcepts.net and tell Ken I sent ya. Or you can watch ebay and try to get one for cheaper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts