Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the least expensive fully synthetic oil online do u use? Whats the link? I did hear that fully synthetic is much better than blend synthetic

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Any quality synthetic is about the same price. The premium synthetics (amsoil and royal purple) are too rich for the benefits imo.

I just get Mobil one at Walmart. You can get 6 quarts for about $30.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I used Quaker State synthetic in my '97 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4L 2V V8 and its never once been in the shop and its at 265,000 miles!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I use royal purple with matching filter and Lucas Oil additive. Car runs great 23k miles in
Lucas is just a super thick oil additive. No reason to run it, I wouldn't. It's good for stopping leaks and quieting valves, but I'm not running it in a new car. Especially one that requires oil as thin as ours.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

I used Quaker State synthetic in my '97 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4L 2V V8 and its never once been in the shop and its at 265,000 miles!
Whats the inside of the valve cover look like when looking through the oil cap? I'm kinda curious. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I purchased synthetic oil at Baxters (local parts store) and replaced the autotranny, rear end, front end (it is a 4X4 dodge 3500), and the engine oil. Just bought the most reasonable priced stuff, and gained 3 mpg, with engine oil changes extended to 15K. Economy in longevity. The truck runs smoother, stronger, and cooler.

Do the math, spend $4/qt on synthetic, $2/qt on regular, change the oil 15K on synthetic, or 3K on regular. That $2 oil now costs $10 in 15K miles, while the synthetic is $4 in 15K miles. 2 1/2 times more expensive, while doing a poor job, not counting the savings at the pump.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Any quality synthetic is about the same price. The premium synthetics (amsoil and royal purple) are too rich for the benefits imo.

I just get Mobil one at Walmart. You can get 6 quarts for about $30.
Maybe you can help me out. I've read that Mobil 1 isn't full synthetic either. And there's several different Mobile 1's.
what's the real scoop.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread. It's full synthetic, or what the industry considers it, but I think they still use crude oil for something. The only pure, high tier synthetics you can get that I'm aware of, are the two brands I mentioned.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread. It's full synthetic, or what the industry considers it, but I think they still use crude oil for something. The only pure, high tier synthetics you can get that I'm aware of, are the two brands I mentioned.
Thanks so I can assume Mobile 1 is same as Motorcraft full synthetic. Interestingly my dealer stocks Mobile 1 and you have to special order the Motorcraft. Do you recommend the standard
Mobile 1 or the extended 15 k mile one?

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
There really is no need today to change oil as frequently as we used to (I remember even having to change spark plugs, points/condensor, and checking gap on the valves every 3,000 miles - glad we don't have to do that anymore too).

The oil change places and oil sellers are in the business though of ---------SELLING YOU STUFF. So they keep people thinking that it has to be changed every 3,000 miles.

Ford is the one who is on the hook for engine failure during the warranty period. So they of course will err on the side of caution to some extent, but if they say you can go longer then why don't you believe them?

On my 2006 4.0 I changed the oil at 5,000 miles, which is what was recommended then. Then I started sending out a sample to Blackstone Labs. They had me stretch the interval, even with the Xcharger and weekend drag racing, to 8,000 and were saying I should be able to stretch it further. Engine life? The car had 203,000 miles on it when I sold it, still running strong and putting down 12 second passes at the track. The new owner says it is still running strong and he plans to take it to the drag strip; everything checks out on the engine, good compression on all cylinders.

·
Registered
730 Posts
There really is no need today to change oil as frequently as we used to (I remember even having to change spark plugs, points/condensor, and checking gap on the valves every 3,000 miles - glad we don't have to do that anymore too).

The oil change places and oil sellers are in the business though of ---------SELLING YOU STUFF. So they keep people thinking that it has to be changed every 3,000 miles.

Ford is the one who is on the hook for engine failure during the warranty period. So they of course will err on the side of caution to some extent, but if they say you can go longer then why don't you believe them?

On my 2006 4.0 I changed the oil at 5,000 miles, which is what was recommended then. Then I started sending out a sample to Blackstone Labs. They had me stretch the interval, even with the Xcharger and weekend drag racing, to 8,000 and were saying I should be able to stretch it further. Engine life? The car had 203,000 miles on it when I sold it, still running strong and putting down 12 second passes at the track. The new owner says it is still running strong and he plans to take it to the drag strip; everything checks out on the engine, good compression on all cylinders.
+1. I just follow regular intervals as per Ford.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I run Amsoil OW-30 with the matching Amsoil filter. Both are rated for 25k. My dad is an Amsoil dealer so I get a good deal.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
get the best quality you can (amsoil or RP are good) and change it less often = win lol

1 - 20 of 42 Posts