Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done zero to my suspension and have 18x9 and 18x10 saleen wheels. I wanna lower it but $ is tight right now. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
cut your springs...i've done a lot of cut sets and for a few hours of work you'll be very happy

·
Registered
7,151 Posts

both of these i cut 1.25 coils off the front an 1 coil off the back and i did remove the ISOs...but you can leave them in if you want to raise it by about a 1/4"

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There has to be something bad about cutting them. Otherwise why doesn't everyone do it ?

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
There has to be something bad about cutting them. Otherwise why doesn't everyone do it ?
nothing bad at all acutally...i've cut i think 10 sets now. the reason most buy lowering springs is

1. have heard horror stories but have no rear experience
2. want a stiffer riding car for handling
3. don't have the patience to cut
4. just like the ease of popping new springs in

cut springs are great for drag racing btw...really good weight transfer when you launch :good:

now i will say idiots that heat springs to lower them are the root to alot of cutting confusion...heating a spring will ruin its temper. so always use a angle grinder with a metal or bi-metal cutting wheel to cut the coil off

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it difficult to actually take the springs out and put them back in ? Also would a shop do all of this ? Cut and install oem springs

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
no problem...if later down the road you decide you want a stiffer ride then upgrade to lowering springs

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
btw i'd say with your wheels to be safe cut 1 coil all the way around and leave ISOs till you know you can pull them

·
Premium Member
14,477 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread... But if you lower say about 2 inches on all 4 then how long would the stock shocks last? I know that for a smoother ride you should change the shocks, but will you be able to lower it a lot without changing the shocks for a while? And would it be best to take out the ISOs or leave them in?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts