Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be able to read my check engine light codes if I ever get any.
What are my options for doing that?
The last time I've done this was probably 1989 on my last Mustang GT.
Probably a dumb question but it's been a while as you can see.
Thank you for the help

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a performance programmer? If so you can read check engine lights that way or you can buy an OBD 2 scan tool

Sent from my IPhone at 120mph in [email protected]
No,I do not. I don't want to change the computer software as its a daily driver.
Primary goal is to just be able to get the car running if it has a no start, or just a malfunction light.

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
a reader will not fix the problem but it can help diagnose it. I have a simple tester/reader that I (or friends) use often. Go to your local parts monger/wall-mart or online and spend $50 for one. I'd tell you what mine is but it's several models old.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You got the tech/nav package? You don't need anything if you do. Press radio buttons 3 and 6 simultaneously until the bezel enters a speaker walk test. cancel test and follow the prompts to "read DTCs". Bob's yer uncle, done.

·
Registered
900 Posts
^yes and ^^yes

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got the tech/nav package? You don't need anything if you do. Press radio buttons 3 and 6 simultaneously until the bezel enters a speaker walk test. cancel test and follow the prompts to "read DTCs". Bob's yer uncle, done.

No I do not that's a nice feature though I bet you a lot of people don't know they can do that.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some good links,thank you.

$300 is more than I want to spend, I have to wonder if the $15 one is any good though.

looks like a big selection,thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This looks nice, much more than I would ever need, however it looks like I can use it on a different car if I had to.

I have to assume it's a good brand..

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Obd2 is universal. Will work on all vehicles. I have one of those cheap ones I keep in the trunk. I also have a higher end actron one that will give me real time data if I want it. It's all about how much money you want to spend and what you want to do with it. Read reviews on the sites that sell them.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
With a sophisticated car like this, you need to be able to read PIDs, not just generic obd2 codes. If you balk at 300, you might as well buy a used, unmarried tuner, because it'll do that and offer the possibility of tuning later, if you want to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With a sophisticated car like this, you need to be able to read PIDs, not just generic obd2 codes. If you balk at 300, you might as well buy a used, unmarried tuner, because it'll do that and offer the possibility of tuning later, if you want to.
what are PIDS ?

Im only interested in fixing the car if I ever need to.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
No code reader will "fix" your car. It will tell you the code and you have to determine the type of repair. It will then clear the code when you have made the necessary repair. All you need is a cheap one. If you have no intention of ever doing anything else, one of those will suffice in your situation. You don't need a tuner and, you don't need to read PIDs (performance information data).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No code reader will "fix" your car. It will tell you the code and you have to determine the type of repair. It will then clear the code when you have made the necessary repair. All you need is a cheap one. If you have no intention of ever doing anything else, one of those will suffice in your situation. You don't need a tuner and, you don't need to read PIDs (performance information data).
Yes I know the code reader won't fix the car. .. I only wanted to read codes.

I can put in a crank sensor or throttle sensor if that's what it says to do.

Yep I don't need a tuner, I really don't want to reflash the computer.

I'm probably going to buy something for 50 bucks but I have to find a nice one

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
PIDs are parameter identifiers and are unique to the manufacturer and the vehicle. They tell you alot about unique things that obd won't.

You don't need to reflash anything use code reading on a tuner.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Look up an app by the name of "Torque" and buy the $20 Bluetooth OBD2 reader. I use it exactly for what you're talking about.

PIDs are nice for trouble shooting but not a must. Even if you want them though the app and reader will let you watch them.

Believe me, look into it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1 - 20 of 29 Posts