Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 08 gt a yr ago from a dealer. After a week of owning it the check engine light came on so I got it checked. All codes led to the o2 sensors. Now that inspection is up I can't pass. My mechanic has tried multiple times to turn the light off but it only stays off for 100 miles or so. I have a bbk long tube header and bbk xpipe set up with two cats before the xpipe. My mechanic says that I could try to get two more cats set up down stream and rerun the o2 sensors but he's not 100% sure if that will work and if it Dosnt it will be a costly worthless install. Dose anyone else have a prob like this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You dont have a tuner? You can manually turn it off with a tuner, and it shuts them off right after. My ex girlfriend did it on her 08 GT after she removed her cats, never popped up after that. I have my rear 02 sensors on, but that's because my Bassani comes with offroad tubes that still plug the 02 sensors in (it's a catted/offroad combo x), and my car gives me no CEL for it.

You could go for the cats, but you do run a risk like you said. You could try to buy a catted x pipe, or a tuner. And you'll get some benefit from it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The tuner will help performance and turn off the O2 sensors. Its cheaper than replacing or paying a mechanic. Next time you can determine what the codes mean. Get it in combo with a CAI, you'll need that anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will def look into getting a tune. I've been wanting to tune my car anyway just wasn't sure what tune I would go with SCT JLT ect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go with Bama, $380 with free tunes on your car. If you ask them to make you a hybrid tune, it'll definitely satisfy you. I had 3 other people in my car and the car still kept spinning the tires and sliding all over the place. That's with the help of 4.10s though. xD

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I will def look into getting a tune. I've been wanting to tune my car anyway just wasn't sure what tune I would go with SCT JLT ect.
I've got an SCT and live it. Didn't know about Bama at the time, it's an SCT unit also. It's a big difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If your state does an OBD-II scan inspection like here in AZ then turning off the check engine light or the O2 sensors will not work. The inspector will get a "not ready" from the computer and the car will not pass. I had the same issue with my car because I didn't realize my 02 sensors were turned off so I failed inspection. I turned them back on with the stock tune, drove around for a couple of days praying a check engine light wouldn't come on and passed inspection with flying colors. I couldn't get home fast enough to put the s/c tune back in since my car was running real bad on the stock tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your state does an OBD-II scan inspection like here in AZ then turning off the check engine light or the O2 sensors will not work. The inspector will get a "not ready" from the computer and the car will not pass. I had the same issue with my car because I didn't realize my 02 sensors were turned off so I failed inspection. I turned them back on with the stock tune, drove around for a couple of days praying a check engine light wouldn't come on and passed inspection with flying colors. I couldn't get home fast enough to put the s/c tune back in since my car was running real bad on the stock tune.
I live in PA and even after the light was off for 2 weeks his computer was still read not ready so he was unable to pass me. Do u think my car was already tuned before I bought it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go with Bama, $380 with free tunes on your car. If you ask them to make you a hybrid tune, it'll definitely satisfy you. I had 3 other people in my car and the car still kept spinning the tires and sliding all over the place. That's with the help of 4.10s though. xD
With a tune... When my mechanic plugs his computer into my system will it just bypass the problem or will it still read that the cats r not on?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would try the anti-fouler trick on both rear o2 sensors

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
You dont have a tuner? You can manually turn it off with a tuner, and it shuts them off right after. My ex girlfriend did it on her 08 GT after she removed her cats, never popped up after that. I have my rear 02 sensors on, but that's because my Bassani comes with offroad tubes that still plug the 02 sensors in (it's a catted/offroad combo x), and my car gives me no CEL for it.

You could go for the cats, but you do run a risk like you said. You could try to buy a catted x pipe, or a tuner. And you'll get some benefit from it.
The tuner disables them, doesn't clear them. If he has OBD inspection, which it sounds like he does, he can not pass inspection still with the tuner because the tuner will make the 02s show "not ready". If you ready them, the code will come back.

OP, Add 'defoulers' to the 02 sensors. There is no guarantee that will work either, though. What state are you in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tuner disables them, doesn't clear them. If he has OBD inspection, which it sounds like he does, he can not pass inspection still with the tuner because the tuner will make the 02s show "not ready". If you ready them, the code will come back.

OP, Add 'defoulers' to the 02 sensors. There is no guarantee that will work either, though. What state are you in?
I am in PA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts