Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I took my 5.0 to get the oil changed at a dealership. On my way home, I noticed that the oil in my engine was smoking. Turns out, I was 3 quarts low on my engine and they only put in 5 quarts. I took it back and fixed it, I'm just afraid of engine damage. So from now on I'm doing my own

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Be sure to check ur oil if u take it somewhere to get it changed before u leave

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
So the other day I took my 5.0 to get the oil changed at a dealership. On my way home, I noticed that the oil in my engine was smoking. Turns out, I was 3 quarts low on my engine and they only put in 5 quarts. I took it back and fixed it, I'm just afraid of engine damage. So from now on I'm doing my own

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Wow the dealer the purchased the car from? Under warranty? i wouldn't be a happy camper..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's the same dealer, thing is I'm at 20k miles so its still under warranty, I've never had a problem with changing it before, but somehow today they screwed up big!!! I was raising all kinds of hell. Either way I didn't lose pressure and assured me if there was any problems they would fix it of course, but either way its a mistake that should have not happened to begin with

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Yeah it's the same dealer, thing is I'm at 20k miles so its still under warranty, I've never had a problem with changing it before, but somehow today they screwed up big!!! I was raising all kinds of hell. Either way I didn't lose pressure and assured me if there was any problems they would fix it of course, but either way its a mistake that should have not happened to begin with
If still be raising all hell man..demand something new or something he done bro..for all your know it could cause a problem 50 miles after your warranty runs out and trust me they will not still fix it for a mistake they made a while ago..I could not let something like that go

·
Registered
453 Posts
I ALWAYS check the dipstick after putting in 8 quarts of oil. Why? Because sometimes we do stupid things.

Example: I mistakenly put in too much oil in my wife's Pilot last year. When I checked the dipstick, it was WAY high. Not sure how it happened, but it did. Oil changes are so easy and so routine, it creates complacency that leads to errors.

I drained some oil from her Pilot, got it right on the mark. It pays to double-check. I am surprised (well, perhaps not) that the dealership doesn't require that as part of their oil change procedures.

·
Registered
297 Posts
NJstanger said:
If still be raising all hell man..demand something new or something he done bro..for all your know it could cause a problem 50 miles after your warranty runs out and trust me they will not still fix it for a mistake they made a while ago..I could not let something like that go
^ I received a free extended warranty for complaining about a small issue with one of my panels rubbing. Chaching

·
Registered
92 Posts
What is wrong with these dealers?! The same exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago. They put in only 6 quarts. Luckily for me, I checked the paperwork right after I drove off. Checked the levels and it was confirmed... called them up, but didn't bother to turn back around. I added the extra 2.5 quarts(Boss 302 oil pan+oil cooler installed). I won't be going back there, again.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Depends how many miles you drove it like that. You should be fine though. Last year I learned something that I will always check on the side after getting an oil change. I went to Walmart with my wife's 2008 focus... Got a synthetic oil change. Drove like almost 15 miles when I noticed smoke coming out from the front. Pulled over and guess what????? ......... There was oil all over the freaking place! Everywhere! The oil cap was not on WTF!! I looked carefully and found it wedged around the engine. Very careless from others when working on our cars. We just have to be cautious all the time. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I learned my lesson letting other people change my oil years ago. I went to an express oil change. They showed me the stick and the oil level was perfect. I pulled my truck out of stall and was checking something else under hood, anyways I checked the oil. It was nearly 2 qts over full. They drained it back out and apologized but I've never trusted an establishment like that again. I'm sure they're all not bad but I prefer to do mine myself.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I really dont think a lot of ford techs get trained enough when new vehicles come out... Not that they are uneducated but i think managers should enforce the techs to learn the basic maitnances for new vehicles like how much oil to put in a vehicle

·
Registered
720 Posts
I really dont think a lot of ford techs get trained enough when new vehicles come out... Not that they are uneducated but i think managers should enforce the techs to learn the basic maitnances for new vehicles like how much oil to put in a vehicle
A good tech will look it up. I think that's the problem. The techs at a dealer have all the resources necessary to not screw up any of the maintenance and instead of taking two minutes to look up how much oil goes in the damn things some of them just guess. And it appears that pretty much none of them check the stick afterwards. If they do, they probably don't wipe it off before checking.

·
Registered
721 Posts
A good tech will look it up. I think that's the problem. The techs at a dealer have all the resources necessary to not screw up any of the maintenance and instead of taking two minutes to look up how much oil goes in the damn things some of them just guess. And it appears that pretty much none of them check the stick afterwards. If they do, they probably don't wipe it off before checking.
+1111 You are right... They get to confident

1 - 20 of 24 Posts