Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting some American Muscle chrome rims. My current tires have 26,000 miles,so no need to replace them.Does anyone run chrome rims in the winter? I know the easy solution is to buy winter tires,but then my costs get to be too much

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I'm thinking about getting some American Muscle chrome rims. My current tires have 26,000 miles,so no need to replace them.Does anyone run chrome rims in the winter? I know the easy solution is to buy winter tires,but then my costs get to be too much
Downside to chrome rims in the winter is salt can cause pitting and cause them to flake and damage them.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
How would you fix such a thing if that were to happen?
have the wheels rechromed.

Does the salt do anything to black rims. I am planning on buying new rims in the summer and selling my current rims. I have a 2011 gt/cs
nah, chrome rims are the only ones that suffer issues. It is the salt on the road that messes them up.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
have the wheels rechromed.

Haha would you know the round about price to have this done?
no sir! Haven't the slightest Idea. I just know that the pitting that can happen and flaking means the chrome is gone and the metal below the rim shows. It will also generally rust and look bad too.

Wish I had an answer on a cost to rechrome wheels but I just personally don't like chrome rims and so I haven't even thought twice about looking into it.

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,876 Posts
We've never really had an issue with our Chrome wheels in the winter. It is said that Salt can eat away at the finish, which is definitely possible if salt was left on the wheels for a long period of time. However, we just recommend not letting the salt getting a chance to pit, so as long as you keep your wheels clean you won't run into any issues!

I've been running our 03/04 Chrome Cobra wheels on my Mach 1 for 2 years now and it's my daily driver. I've been through two winters and they're still in brand new condition! Black wheels, have absolutely nothing to worry about. Obviously they can still pit if not kept clean, but you would really have to not take care of them to see any sort of consequences.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,876 Posts
Thanks Dan that's good to know. Im looking into buying either the 2010 or 2013 Gt500 rims in black. For My black Gt/CS
Awesome man! I really like both of those wheels, it really depends what style you're after.

I see you're going for the Blacked Out Scheme, I can't wait to see the finished product! Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan

·
Registered
672 Posts
As long as you spray off your wheels after the salt is off the road after a snow (maybe a day or so later) you should be fine. I have polished wheels so it's a little different, but I at least spray my car off once a week during the winter and usually hit up a touchless automatic to get the undercarriage real good. As long as you are proactive in at least spraying it off once a week at a car wash you should have zero issues with chrome wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts