Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out who is telling the truth if any. I want to put my alpine stereo in my mustang that has the mach 460 system, but a guy at circut city said that the stock amps for the rear speakers will not work if i do this. Then he told me I need to buy a $40 wiring harness (ford premium wire harness) and a AM/FM antenna for $15 to get FM with my aftermarket alpine unit, and the installation unit so my alpine will fit. Do i need all this stuff or is it BS let me know

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
I don't know, but that FM antenna really sounds like bs. So I'm gonna raise the flag on that one at least... :bs:

I wouldn't think you would have to have that wiring harness either, but it probably does make it easier. $40 easier? I guess that's up to you.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
the wiring harness is good but not for 40 bucks the fm antenna also sounds like bs unless he means an antenna adapter some cars aNTTENas dont work with after market stereos. where do you live murph i could prolly get you tht stuff way cheaper

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
I think when I installed my sony xplod headunit, I had to go thru the stock amps too, if im not mistaken. There was also something weird that I had to do with the antenna wire, but i didn't have to buy anything for it. I used an old radio harness from my 97 and just spliced everything. I don't remember what I had to do. I couldn't figure it out so I took it to Total Kustoms (great guys there btw) and he told me what to do and it worked fine. My radio works am/fm too.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
you do need a wiring harness. I had a Pioneer in my mach system. The amps is true..... if you upgrade speakers. the stock amps are perfect to push those speakers, but if you get new ones, they will sound like ****, and if you upgrade amps before speakers, it will blow the speakers. To get a good system out of the mach, you need to tear the whole thing out and start over. Just installing a headunit will wake it up though.

You need a wiring harness and that's about it. www.crutchfield.com go price the headunit there and include everything it says you need. they won't lie to you for extra money.

heck, if you're interessted, i still have the old pioneer hu with wireing harness already fitted sitting in my room. I'll sell it to you for $60 shipped. it's the DEH- 1400 model

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
Stay out of Circuit City and Best Buy's Car Audio area and go to a local car audio shop that actually knows what they are talking about

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
lol

<- works at Circuit City :eek:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Circuit City is the bomb. I was there and the guy asked what I was putting in my car and I was like: 2 12" Adire Shivas. And he was like: Oh. We don't carry the generic brands.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I almost pissed myself.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts