Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is having exhaust clamped on instead of welded just for lazy people or is there a benefit of it other than being easy to take off ? Is it more solid than a weld ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
In most situations a clamp will work fine. Clamps allow for an easy install and disassembly if needed.

Is a weld better? A weld has pros and cons, just like a clamp. There is less chance of an exhaust leak if a competent welder does the job. However, if you ever want or need to remove the exhaust it will need to be cut.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In most situations a clamp will work fine. Clamps allow for an easy install and disassembly if needed.

Is a weld better? A weld has pros and cons, just like a clamp. There is less chance of an exhaust leak if a competent welder does the job. However, if you ever want or need to remove the exhaust it will need to be cut.

Ah I see , I may be doing an off-road mid pipe down the road so clamping would make sense and will be less permanent . Thanks !

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Welding takes any rust preventative protection out of the material used so, that's why OEMs do very little of it. It also tends to harden the metal around the weld and make it easier for it to crack there.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Usually no need to weld, but the oem sleeve clamps on the mid pipe usually don't work well once you remove them, I'd recommend replacing those with new ones. I keep having to re-tighten mine

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welding takes any rust preventative protection out of the material used so, that's why OEMs do very little of it. It also tends to harden the metal around the weld and make it easier for it to crack there.
????? Almost all the joints in an OEM exhaust are welded. They only use clamps in locations necessary to install the system.

Welding stainless with stainless wire does not degrade the rust resistance.

To the OP, horse shoe clamps will crush the pipes making nearly as difficult as welding to take apart.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i ended up using clamps and it seems pretty secure . Took my car down a fairly bumpy stretch of highway just to make sure it wasn't going anywhere and it's all good. Thanks for the help guys .

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way , didn't realize what I was missing out on . I went from muffler deleted that would scream and shake your brain loose to the smooth and aggressive sound of borla s- types . I highly recommend . It's nice being able to not have to use sign language to talk to passengers

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
By the way , didn't realize what I was missing out on . I went from muffler deleted that would scream and shake your brain loose to the smooth and aggressive sound of borla s- types . I highly recommend . It's nice being able to not have to use sign language to talk to passengers

I have considered leaving the cats and removing the exhaust.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have considered leaving the cats and removing the exhaust.

Don't do it man , just from experience. The drone is unbearable , no to mention the vibration it gives off rattles the entire cabin . Sure it sounds mean when you step on it but it's very unrefined .

·
Registered
143 Posts
The stock components of the exhaust seem to fit up nicely with other stock components so clamps work fine but when you add aftermarket parts and connect them to stock parts the fit isn't perfect and you may get leaks.

The guy at the muffler shop near my house suggested welding when you have a mix/match setup to avoid leaks. He always suggests installing every component of the same brand to ensure proper fit.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I use Permatex muffler and tail pipe sealer and the band style clamps. Sealant helps lube the connections when putting them together and dries fairly quickly. It won't patch a hole but works well ime for connections that use clamps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use Permatex muffler and tail pipe sealer and the band style clamps. Sealant helps lube the connections when putting them together and dries fairly quickly. It won't patch a hole but works well ime for connections that use clamps.
I agree on the sealer. I have used it on a several systems, and it does dry extremely fast. I have had to take apart a system that was just sealed about a week, and had to really use force to remove the ends. The sealer sets up pretty hard, and reduces the likelihood of any leaks. You can always go back and test it for leaks when done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts