Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 mustang with a 289 engine. It normally runs pretty well, but when I took it out of storage this year it started overheating and then coolant started flowing out on the floor infront of the passenger seat. What happened and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
it probably overheated because the thermostat stuck,causing the other problem. Put in a new thermostat and antifreeze..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Disconnect your hoses and put a short loop on your engine to bypass the heater core. If your car runs good and you don't overheat/loose fluid then you need to replace your heater core before winter. Otherwise you have other problems and you need to look for the new leak or thermostat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Either the heater core failed, or the hoses to the heater core failed. As well, it probably overheated due to the loss of coolant.

Heater cores are not hard to replace, but if you are not mechanically inclined it is time to take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree. It is probably the heater core. If the hoses are attached outside the firewall then it probably won't be a hose. If the are attached inside the car they could be leaking at the end, but my money is on the core.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Remove the core, flush it, check the thermostat.. it could be stuck like they said, replace the hoses, and top it off.. then beat the snot out of it if does it again!

·
Registered
34 Posts
the heater core my 68 did the same thing replace the heater hose going to the core also and clamps youre it will save you trouble later

1 - 9 of 9 Posts