Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1967 mustang coupe, with a'70s model 302 2 barrel carburetor. I want to upgrade to a 4 barrel carburetor and intake. Which brand would be best? Mind you I'm on a low budget

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have a 1967 mustang coupe, with a'70s model 302 2 barrel carburetor. I want to upgrade to a 4 barrel carburetor and intake. Which brand would be best? Mind you I'm on a low budget
Personally I like Holley carbs and Edelbrock intakes. But everyone has an opinion. Should be able to find an intake used, but be careful of used carbs, may have been re-jetted weird. Just make sure you match the style intake with the carb and cam. They all have to work together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I like Holley carbs and Edelbrock intakes. But everyone has an opinion. Should be able to find an intake used, but be careful of used carbs, may have been re-jetted weird. Just make sure you match the style intake with the carb and cam. They all have to work together.
So get a Holley carburetor with an edelbrock intake or get everything the same? Also is there a place or website that has them cheaper than parts stores?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Deamon holleys lead desiner made deamon

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
So get a Holley carburetor with an edelbrock intake or get everything the same? Also is there a place or website that has them cheaper than parts stores?
Summit racing has decent prices and good selection. Don't go too high on cfm. 600-650 should be good. Don't get a crazy intake that's for a huge carb or blower. Match the two. Look at the rpm range for each. Some intakes and cams make power at really high rpms. You probably want and more normal power range. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Summit racing has decent prices and good selection. Don't go too high on cfm. 600-650 should be good. Don't get a crazy intake that's for a huge carb or blower. Match the two. Look at the rpm range for each. Some intakes and cams make power at really high rpms. You probably want and more normal power range. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
Just more hp and torque. Something that preforms as bad as she sounds

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Holley 4 barrel 600cfm carb and an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake on my car and they work great together. Just in case you wanna go that route

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Holley 4 barrel 600cfm carb and an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake on my car and they work great together. Just in case you wanna go that route
Definitely a possibility. Just have to get everything in my price range. I'm debating on selling my late model GT rims and getting black racing wheels. The money leftover will go toward the carburetor and intake

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Definitely a possibility. Just have to get everything in my price range. I'm debating on selling my late model GT rims and getting black racing wheels. The money leftover will go toward the carburetor and intake
Do you know what cam is in it? That would be helpful for matching everything for max HP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you know what cam is in it? That would be helpful for matching everything for max HP.
No, I didn't know that. I will definitely have to look into that. She's still a project car, so I've still got some restoration to do. I'll find out what Cam is in it though

·
Registered
161 Posts
if this is a stock engine, and will remain stock, then a weiand action plus intake is going to be the least expensive intake. top it with a 500cfm edelbrock carb for decent fuel economy and performance.

if you plan on upgrading the engine in the future, then go with either the edelbrock performer rpm or the weiand stealth intake and top it with a decent 600cfm carb. i like the edelbrock, but holley, demon and even summit all have good carbs in the 600 cfm range. in fact demon has two different design 600 cfm carbs, one is an upgrade holley, the other is similar in design to the edelbrock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts