Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the country roads and there's lots of dust flying around a lot of the time. Got a 2004 3.9 automatic that looks like its 99 cuz its so dirty. I don't know how to clean it. I tried some engine degreaser although it doesn't have grease just dirt and didn't work. I don't need some powerful formula I need some high pressure spray can that'll knock the dirt off. I've thought of spraying it w/ high pressure water at those do it yourself car washes but I'm afraid of ruining my engine. I don't know if I can do this cuz of the electrical thinngs in it. My friends tell me I only need to cover two things w/ plactic bags, near the spark plug wires and some other big piece. Any suggestions. Intake manifold is a pain, its rough texture won't allow you to scrub it...high pressure is manditory i think.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
use air? try that, then I would wake up one morning and just hose it down with a hose, make sure not to soak your engine.. we power washed all the engines at my old work, but i dont like doing it. make sure if your engine is Hot or warm, use HOT water...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used Purple Power and a small brush. It takes forever to do your entire engine but the results are great. Some people spray down their entire engine bay with Simple Green, then let it penetrate for a couple of minutes, and then finally hose the entire engine off. I have been too reluctant to try this because I do not want to ruin anything. Anyone else try this?

·
Registered
676 Posts
i just use baby wipes to clean, and then megiures NTX to make everything look "wet"

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
1quick6 said:
I used Purple Power and a small brush. It takes forever to do your entire engine but the results are great. Some people spray down their entire engine bay with Simple Green, then let it penetrate for a couple of minutes, and then finally hose the entire engine off. I have been too reluctant to try this because I do not want to ruin anything. Anyone else try this?
we used kinda the same stuff, spray bottom up then let sit then brush heavy spots, then powerwash off, I live in Indiana and the dust from fields and normal grease and Oil, and mine is still clean,.... btw i have a 98/

·
Registered
14 Posts
What ever you do, don't use a high pressure washer, that's a short waiting to happen. Like Fishers Stang said, use air and blow majorty of the loose dirt out and then rinse it in the morning. When you do rinse the motor, be sure to leave it running, just to be on the safe side for your wires and connections.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
if you take a hose,pressure washer, etc to it, make sure the engine is running when you do it

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You say to rinse it with water but do you mean i should just spray my entire engine up with my garden hose? Aren't I suppose to cover some **** up? I don't need a magic formula. I need to hose it down. When I spray something it breaks the dirt up sure, but I need something to make the dirt drip off of my engine. The solutions don't drip cuz there isn't enough of it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took it to a do it yourself car wash, covered up the ignition wires w/ a plastic bag and let it rip. Looks a lot better than before but not quite new.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts

my 98 monte carlo.. with 80k miles on it in an also dusty/messy environment (lots of rain/mud puddles..) (previous car) simple green + toothbrush for hard to reach areas + hose, try to avoid the alternator and PCM housing, and don't spray water directly into the spark plug ports.. I just let the water run without any nozzles/etc.. it worked good as you can see..

I've also tried steam cleaning the visible parts without any connectors/gaskets nearby with a steam cleaner.. worked great, didn't cause any problems.. valve covers/parts of the intake plenum/ heads/exhaust/strut towers/etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts