Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure what they call the black strips that run from the windshield to the rear window on either side of the roof, but I think they call them "roof moldings"? Anyways, can anyone recommend the best way to clean them, and with what? My 2012's roof moldings are badly corroded and discolored and look horrible. I've already tried Mothers' Back to Black and all that did was make them shiny, but it did nothing to remove the corrosion. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
462 Posts
It’s oxidation. PepBoys Carries a product to clean this. I haven’t tried it, and I don’t really recall who makes it.

I had similar on my 2014 window/door Rubber. The part that seals and wipes water from the door windows when yo lower/raise the window for the squeegee effect.

I used Aerospace 303 cleaner and a microfiber cloth (with plenty of elbow grease) to remove this, then I treated with Aerospace 303 protectant to prevent its return.

It worked well for me.

In the event that you can’t clean it up, the roof trim comes out easily and can be replaced.

Reactions: revolver92

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s oxidation. PepBoys Carries a product to clean this. I haven’t tried it, and I don’t really recall who makes it.

I had similar on my 2014 window/door Rubber. The part that seals and wipes water from the door windows when yo lower/raise the window for the squeegee effect.

I used Aerospace 303 cleaner and a microfiber cloth (with plenty of elbow grease) to remove this, then I treated with Aerospace 303 protectant to prevent its return.

It worked well for me.

In the event that you can’t clean it up, the roof trim comes out easily and can be replaced.
Thanks so much for the advice. I'll try it!

·
Registered
34 Posts

It worked well for me.

We might need that Aerospace 303 cleaner. Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were you able to remove it?
I never was able to find that Aerospace 303 cleaner mentioned above. I finally just removed them, sanded them down and spray painted them in a matte black. But I've since traded my 2012 V6 for a 2020 Ecoboost, which thankfully doesn't have those moldings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts