Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Shim the plate open with something that won't score it, then clean by hand. Don't just blast all the crud into your intake manifold... I wrapped a screwdriver with a rag, soaked it with brake cleaner and scrubbed away.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shim the plate open with something that won't score it, then clean by hand. Don't just blast all the crud into your intake manifold... I wrapped a screwdriver with a rag, soaked it with brake cleaner and scrubbed away.
Could I remove it and clean thoroughly so don't gotta worry Bout blasting the crap into my manifold?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Taking it off is really the way to go, i did mine a couple weeks ago. Just be careful when doing it and its easy. Once its off, you can wedge the plate open with a piece of soft wood or I just held mine open with my thumb, spray some carb cleaner in there, you will have to use a toothbrush or similiar, just spraying will not work. Spray, scrub, spray scrub, wont take long at all.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taking it off is really the way to go, i did mine a couple weeks ago. Just be careful when doing it and its easy. Once its off, you can wedge the plate open with a piece of soft wood or I just held mine open with my thumb, spray some carb cleaner in there, you will have to use a toothbrush or similiar, just spraying will not work. Spray, scrub, spray scrub, wont take long at all.
Easy to take off? Just unhook the intake hose and just a few bolts I'd imagine?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Intake bolts, the hard steel line in the back (EGR?) and the various hoses, throttle linkage. Be careful when pulling it off to not lose the rubber oring gasket underneath, the manifold is plastic so dont go crazy when reinstalling those bolts.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've heard from a friend who is an ASE certified mater mechanic that Ford puts a Teflon coating in the throttle body/plenum that if you use cleaner on it will break it down. So if your going to clean it I would take it off the car and spray and scrub it clean.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I might just have to clean mine this weekend. Let me know how it goes, if you take the whole TB off.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've heard from a friend who is an ASE certified mater mechanic that Ford puts a Teflon coating in the throttle body/plenum that if you use cleaner on it will break it down. So if your going to clean it I would take it off the car and spray and scrub it clean.
Spray it with what ?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you do decide to clean it (which is unnecessary 99.44% of the time--what makes you feel it needs to be cleaned?) you should check the throttle stop screw setting afterwards--here is how to do that.

The plate and bore of the stock TB is coated on some assemblies to minimise the plate sticking closed--when you "clean" off that coating the preset air bleed through the TB increases which can cause the PCM to no longer be able to properly control idle speed.

FWIW I have never found a need to clean an EFI throttle body in nearly 40 years of working on EFI engines...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I cleaned it..sprayed some tb cleaner on a rag an went at it, man was there some nasty gunk in there...taken it for a drive now

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wouldnt worry to much about the coating, considering the thing is black as tar inside. I did mine because I had just put in a new CAI and wanted a nice clean path.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldnt worry to much about the coating, considering the thing is black as tar inside. I did mine because I had just put in a new CAI and wanted a nice clean path.
Yea I cleaned it up, not much of a difference but for my satisfaction there is no black nasty gunk sitting in my TB anymore..took me 5 minutes so why not do it every few months or year ya know

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
NJstanger said:
Yea I cleaned it up, not much of a difference but for my satisfaction there is no black nasty gunk sitting in my TB anymore..took me 5 minutes so why not do it every few months or year ya know
Did you take it off to clean?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you take it off to clean?
Nope, just too air tube off..sprayed cleaner on the rag and a tiny bit inside , wrapped the rag around a longish screwdriver, opened up the throttle and scrub with the screwdriver wrapped in a rag..clean as a whistle now

1 - 20 of 31 Posts