Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got the motor out heads off and all accessories timing cover and cam out and I am gonna clean the block what should I use it's all grimy but no blow by and the Cylinder walls look great rings also

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rwsmith3623 said:
Are you planning on using water?
I would like to avoid using water

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I would like to avoid using water
Won't hurt it. Use HOT water and soap to loosen and dissolve the grunge, rinse with hot water and blow dry.

Grab a set of block cleaning brushes and pay particular attention to all of the oil passages to get the crud out of them.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trojan Horse said:
Won't hurt it. Use HOT water and soap to loosen and dissolve the grunge, rinse with hot water and blow dry.

Grab a set of block cleaning brushes and pay particular attention to all of the oil passages to get the crud out of them.
How much would it cost to get the block honed at a machine shop and cleaned

·
Registered
493 Posts
Excuse me for butting in to your thread. What is the best way to clean a running engine? I've heard low pressure water but I dont want to get moisture in anything that will harm it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
91notchback said:
Excuse me for butting in to your thread. What is the best way to clean a running engine? I've heard low pressure water but I dont want to get moisture in anything that will harm it.
No problem dude and I am trying to figure this out as well lol

·
Registered
493 Posts
Is your motor apart? If so, I don't see what it would hurt to use low pressure water. Especially if you are going to do a full honing.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
How much would it cost to get the block honed at a machine shop and cleaned
I don't really know in your area. Last time I had one done it was around $8-$12 a hole for bore/hone and cleaning was around $25. I imagine prices have risen considerably since then.

Really low pressure hot water (like a gentle rain) and a good engine degreaser. You want to take steps to ensure water does not get into any electrical & ignition components. It is best to cover them with plastic bags and hand clean them later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts