Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm trying to change my cluster it works but it has the 85 mph top so I wanted to get the 140 mph but haven't had any luck any ideas ?

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Hey guys I'm trying to change my cluster it works but it has the 85 mph top so I wanted to get the 140 mph but haven't had any luck any ideas ?
I went through the same thing several years ago with my 86 GT.
I ended up finding mine on eBay.
Check there, Craigslist and other online Mustang Forum's Classifieds sections.
Buyer beware though, when buying parts from people you don't know, and parts you can't examine before buying.
I usually try to get them to talk with me on the phone so I can get a feel for how trustworthy they are.
Most of the crooks out there have a hard time being straight forward and honest, so for me at least, they are relatively easy to weed out if you can just talk with them. :good:

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
I believe the 140 speedo were offered in the 89-93 or 90-93 can't remember exactly but you don't have to change the whole entire cluster, you can just swap out the speedos. 87-93 use the same clusters just some are 85 and some are the 140 speedo. Has to be a factory v8 car to have the 140 as I believe all the 4 bangers were only registered for 85.(don't quote me on that one tho heh )

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
88fox said:
So just swap the speedo from a 140 and just buy the gauge stickers ?
What do you mean gauge stickers? If you have a factory cluster and you get another factory one they should be identical

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I ment to say was was the instrument gauge kit and not swap the entire cluster

·
Registered
204 Posts
I did that switch not long ago..just switch them..you don't have to get anything calibrated or anything (am not trying to go against any ones ideas) but they told me the same thing that to change the speed gear and idk what else..just change the cluster or the speedo piece and it should work great!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys I'm gonna see which route would be easier for me and ill let you guys know.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I did that switch not long ago..just switch them..you don't have to get anything calibrated or anything (am not trying to go against any ones ideas) but they told me the same thing that to change the speed gear and idk what else..just change the cluster or the speedo piece and it should work great!!
I think what they are talking about recalibrating, is when you use the decals over the 85 mph speedometers. That requires the speedo to be recalibrated.
If you install a factory 140 mph speedo, then no recalibration is required. :good:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so just recalibrate my speedo and get some decals or buy the 140 speedo and ill be set sounds easy enough

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Trojan Horse said:
I think what they are talking about recalibrating, is when you use the decals over the 85 mph speedometers. That requires the speedo to be recalibrated.
If you install a factory 140 mph speedo, then no recalibration is required. :good:
+1. The problem with recalibrating is you have to either find a local place or ship your whole cluster somewhere.by time you pay shipping and Labor for the recalibration and purchase the cover plates.its probably not much or even cheaper than finding a whole new cluster.and less hassle anyways.

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
I picked up a 140 cluster from a junkyard for 15 bucks a couple years back for my 87 gt, far easier to just swap the speedos than to resticker and recalibrate

·
Registered
492 Posts
Dude, just buy a 140 mph speedo. You can find them in junk yards, on eBay, on craigslist and can even buy them new from ford and aftermarket from places like late model restoration supply.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts