Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was installing a freeplay mod to my clutch cable yesterday and noticed something I hadn't seen before mounted on my clutch. I took it off to investigate and found that it was just weight. It feels like it weighs around a pound or just over. Anybody know why you would put extra weight on a clutch fork?

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I was installing a freeplay mod to my clutch cable yesterday and noticed something I hadn't seen before mounted on my clutch. I took it off to investigate and found that it was just weight. It feels like it weighs around a pound or just over. Anybody know why you would put extra weight on a clutch fork?
That's weird? :confused:
Do you think it is factory or has been added on?
I wonder if that was done to stiffen a weak fork?

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's weird? :confused:
Do you think it is factory or has been added on?
I wonder if that was done to stiffen a weak fork?
It is odd. I does look like it was made for the fork. There's a pre-made hole in the fork for the bolt. It was dirty enough to be factory on the pressure plate side. I can't say for sure though.

Would the weight assist clutching? Would it make a light clutch feel heavier?

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
That is wierd, but I would bet it has a purpose.
2 thoughts come to mind. First one like trojan said to strengthen it.
Second, maybe to add a little weight so when the clutch isn't engaged it doesn't bounce around?

If its for the second reason then you probably wouldn't need it using the freeplay mod.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
It is odd. I does look like it was made for the fork. There's a pre-made hole in the fork for the bolt. It was dirty enough to be factory on the pressure plate side. I can't say for sure though.

Would the weight assist clutching? Would it make a light clutch feel heavier?
I don't see how it could affect the clutch in that way. You won't really feel that small amount of weight and it's not hung in a way that would benefit clutching as far as I can tell. Probably something Ford did to shore up a weak fork?

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see how it could affect the clutch in that way. You won't really feel that small amount of weight and it's not hung in a way that would benefit clutching as far as I can tell. Probably something Ford did to shore up a weak fork?
What I got from a member of the mach1registry was it was for vibration and noise. I guess the weight would dampen the vibration. It could also transfer it somewhere else too. :confused:

·
Banned
8,779 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting, what ever its real purpose is, i am surprised they don't sell anything like this in the aftermarket if the point is for vibration dampening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts