Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered Monday afternoon. Received in mail yesterday. Took longer to park the horsey in the sun on the driveway (22 deg. this AM) to warm up the interior than to install it (used the clam shell method). Feels great not having to move the seat back and forth and not kicking the door speaker. Is it worth it? It is to me. Probably costs all of $0.29 to make it, but I'm not the one that had the idea.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I currently have the Roush pedals, would you be able to put the roush pedals on the extension? I can always take the roush pedals back off and put the stockers back on, but this was what held me up buying this before.

I don't really need it, but to sit slightly further back would be nice.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I currently have the Roush pedals, would you be able to put the roush pedals on the extension? I can always take the roush pedals back off and put the stockers back on, but this was what held me up buying this before.

I don't really need it, but to sit slightly further back would be nice.
I would think so. If you were able to put the Roush pedal around the metal plate on the pedal, I would think it'll go around the extension.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I would think so. If you were able to put the Roush pedal around the metal plate on the pedal, I would think it'll go around the extension.
the roush pedals screw into that petal plate for the pedals. Then gets bolted down. I just don't think they will work.

I tell you what though, an aluminum pedal makes that clutch feel heavier than it really is. The rubber that is used stock is so much more comfortable.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the roush pedals screw into that petal plate for the pedals. Then gets bolted down. I just don't think they will work.

I tell you what though, an aluminum pedal makes that clutch feel heavier than it really is. The rubber that is used stock is so much more comfortable.
Oops, didn't know that. Like Roanne Rossanna Danna used to say, "Never mind..."

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just to add my opinion... I also used the extension pedal from http://www.bondraperformanceengineering.com/
I am 5'10 and of average size and thought it weird that I needed to move my seat almost all the way forward and have my knees hit the keys on the key ring (not a key chain or anything extra but keys only two on a ring). So, I ordered the clutch extension. Wonderful! Took me a while to get used to it after 10 months without and the install was difficult in the cold. You need a heat gun and/or hot water. On a hot summer day maybe not so much but in 30 degrees even in a heated garage took some time, but well worth it. Yes, a very odd upgrade, but one that helps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to add my opinion... I also used the extension pedal from http://www.bondraperformanceengineering.com/
I am 5'10 and of average size and thought it weird that I needed to move my seat almost all the way forward and have my knees hit the keys on the key ring (not a key chain or anything extra but keys only two on a ring). So, I ordered the clutch extension. Wonderful! Took me a while to get used to it after 10 months without and the install was difficult in the cold. You need a heat gun and/or hot water. On a hot summer day maybe not so much but in 30 degrees even in a heated garage took some time, but well worth it. Yes, a very odd upgrade, but one that helps.
You're right. Once I let the car sit out in the sun a couple hours, it was very easy to take the piece off the pedal (rubber/metal, and the temp. had gone up to 47). I recommend using the clam shell method. I soaked the rubber piece in hot tap water for five minutes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think it's a great addition. A pain in the dick to install without a heat gun though. I can move my seat much farther back

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you have to keep moving seat up to operate the clutch pedal this extender is a Godsend. It works perfectly and no more moving seat back and forth to get in and out, no more banging you dirty shoe into you door speaker, no more sitting right on top of your steering wheel and people asking you, why do you sit so close to the wheel and cocking your head to turn to you wife who is comfortably sitting back in her seat, etc, etc.
A must have item. Go an order it and you will say where have you been all my life!!
Oh, and it is a royal PITA to get that factory rubber pedal pad onto the extender. You have to heat it in boiling water, hair drying etc, to make the rubber more pliable to stretch it on.
I had sore fingers and broke a tiny blood vessel in my palm when it was all said and done, but boy was it worth it and you forget it's even there within hours and no one will no the better.
PS - I really think that the extender will only except the Mustang factory rubber pedal, unless they now have models for other aftermarket pedals.

·
Registered
382 Posts
For some reason I don't notice this problem. Maybe my left leg is longer than my right. ;-)

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm 6'1" and I have no problems putting my seat all the way back for the gas and brake but I have to point my toes to fully depress the clutch. Sitting close makes the rearview mirror and enormous blind spot so I might have to get this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe in my next life I can sit all the way back without issues. In this life I am 5'-6' and have alway had issues driving all my manual trans cars for over 30 years now, unless I moved the seat up to comfortably extend the clutch pedal down to the floor.
So many times buying a new car I wrestled with the decision over Manual or Auto just so I can finally relax and put my seat back. The manual always won over the auto even though it was an inconvenience, UNTIL now and the mighty Clutch Pedal Extender. Thank You Very Much!!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
One of my fav mods it helped a lot with me too. I was sitting slants to the left before that because it felt as if the accelerator is much higher than the clutch for some reason. Helped with my shifting a lot.

·
Registered
126 Posts
To be embarrassing honest, one additional inch on the clutch extender would have probably been ideal for me. The Extender helped me tremendously and I think it's my most useful simple mod to completely enjoy driving my stang, I even wrote the proprietor of the company who invented the Clutch pedal extender saying it could be an idea to have two sizes and I would be his first customer for the 2-1/2 inch pedal.

Much thought went into the actually production size for safety, ergonomics, position in relation to the other pedals, etc, etc, and they settled on 1-1/2 inches.

Maybe if they could make special custom orders for a higher price or whatever. Again, I will be his first customer.
:banghead:

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I guess for me the stang isn't that bad after having driven a 2004 350Z for a month. When I was driving that car I literally sat so close to the steering wheel that if the airbag deployed it would hit me long before it got fully deployed. Only way I could get that clutch all the way in.

If I can find my stock pedal covers I might still give this a go! Would be nice to sit a little further back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Talk about quick delivery. Ordered mine yesterday & recieved it in the mail today. Used the clamshell method & took about 5 minutes. I live near Phoenix & it was in the 90's. No heat gun or soap needed. Haven't really "driven" it yet as I was involved with another project in the garage today. Just readjusting the seat & backing it out of the garage felt sweet though. Wish I had one for my Tacoma pickup.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts