Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to purchase a new clutch and want one not too expensive and just for a DD. looking at excedy stage 1. What's you're feedback on these? And also anything else I should get or will be an upgrade while I'm tackling the job. I will also be replacing my rear bushings.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Thnks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
I like my Exedy Stage 1. It feels and drives like stock and grips better. Make sure to replace the Throw-out bearing and Pilot bearing with the Ford Racing ones. I ended up replacing my flywheel with the billet steel one from ford racing, but you can just machine the stock one if you want.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like my Exedy Stage 1. It feels and drives like stock and grips better. Make sure to replace the Throw-out bearing and Pilot bearing with the Ford Racing ones. I ended up replacing my flywheel with the billet steel one from ford racing, but you can just machine the stock one if you want.
Ok throw out bearing and pilot bearing check. Yea my friend said to just resurface it. Ill be doin it at home with a friend so it will be down a few days.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Does the kit come with the throw out and pilot bearing?
It will, however a lot of people run into issues with aftermarket throw-out bearings going bad and squeaking after a couple months.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,197 Posts
I got an Exedy stage 1 clutch as well. I bought the FRPP TOB and pilot bearing too. All through AM. Mine has worked well too. The stock replacement was $700 through Ford! :eek: My local Ford dealer put mine in when they replaced my tranny under warranty. Only thing I could recommend, since I haven't installed one myself, would be to borrow or rent a torque wrench so you can install it to specs.

As fat as the clutch cable, many people swear by the Ford OEM cable. I'd use the opportunity to get an aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster. The Maximum Motorsports kit uses the OEM cable.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=50_75&products_id=385

Good luck man! Post your progress. :good:

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got an Exedy stage 1 clutch as well. I bought the FRPP TOB and pilot bearing too. All through AM. Mine has worked well too. The stock replacement was $700 through Ford! :eek: My local Ford dealer put mine in when they replaced my tranny under warranty. Only thing I could recommend, since I haven't installed one myself, would be to borrow or rent a torque wrench so you can install it to specs.

As fat as the clutch cable, many people swear by the Ford OEM cable. I'd use the opportunity to get an aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster. The Maximum Motorsports kit uses the OEM cable.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=50_75&products_id=385

Good luck man! Post your progress. :good:
Thanks for the info azure! My friend should have that tool ill ask him. I will start the process on Sunday and hopefully have it done Monday or Tuesday. So you recomend changing the clutch cable to that one?

·
Lorraine's driver
8,197 Posts
Thanks for the info azure! My friend should have that tool ill ask him. I will start the process on Sunday and hopefully have it done Monday or Tuesday. So you recomend changing the clutch cable to that one?
You can prolly tell by getting down there and looking at it. If it looks kinda old, I think I would. The OEM's do last a pretty long time though. The stage 1 clutch is not heavier than the stock was on my car, so you might get by with the current cable. I kinda like doing the whole schmo at once and for $140 that kit seamed very reasonable. I wish AM sold it. Look for freying in the cable or the outer sheath. If all that looks good, you could re-use it. Plus, it is easy to replace later too. :good:

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can prolly tell by getting down there and looking at it. If it looks kinda old, I think I would. The OEM's do last a pretty long time though. The stage 1 clutch is not heavier than the stock was on my car, so you might get by with the current cable. I kinda like doing the whole schmo at once and for $140 that kit seamed very reasonable. I wish AM sold it. Look for freying in the cable or the outer sheath. If all that looks good, you could re-use it. Plus, it is easy to replace later too. :good:
Ok will do. Anything else I can replace while I'm down there? I will also be doing the rear bushing since they look worn out.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
You could check the rear main seal once you get in there. You have low enough mileage that I doubt it would be leaking though.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could check the rear main seal once you get in there. You have low enough mileage that I doubt it would be leaking though.
Yea will do

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

There should be a write up on how to change the clutch right. I member seeing one

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Yea will do

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

There should be a write up on how to change the clutch right. I member seeing one
Nate has his thread on it, I don't remember how in depth it was though.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm between the stage 1 and 2 of excedy. What's the differences in them? It's 6 bucks less for the stage 2

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
I'm between the stage 1 and 2 of excedy. What's the differences in them? It's 6 bucks less for the stage 2
Usually it's disc material and gripping force.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,197 Posts
On sale or something? Really, it's just the torque capabilities. The stage 2 can handle more torque, but it will be stiffer. It may be a little too stiff for the plastic quadrant making it necessary to upgrade to the aluminum quad and firewall adjuster. The stage 1 is good for 430lbs of torque. I guess it should depend on your future mod plans and if you exceed or get too close to the torque limits.

I'm looking now. It looks like the stage 2 must be on sale now. I remember they used to be about $10 more when I bought the stage 1. I believe Nate bought the stage 2..?

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On sale or something? Really, it's just the torque capabilities. The stage 2 can handle more torque, but it will be stiffer. It may be a little too stiff for the plastic quadrant making it necessary to upgrade to the aluminum quad and firewall adjuster. The stage 1 is good for 430lbs of torque. I guess it should depend on your future mod plans and if you exceed or get too close to the torque limits.

I'm looking now. It looks like the stage 2 must be on sale now. I remember they used to be about $10 more when I bought the stage 1. I believe Nate bought the stage 2..?
Yea I'm not gonna go crazy on power. I plan on making it a corner car. Looks like stage 1 it is then thnks guys ill place the order sometime this week.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Usually it's disc material and gripping force.
Oh ok

·
Registered
155 Posts
Get a tranny jack if doing from the ground pain in the a$$ if you don't have one and get a adjustable clutch cable. :) just put in a new clutch Shifts like a dream

1 - 20 of 21 Posts