Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 16 inch Cobra rims on my mustang at the moment. A buddy of mine has 17s and he was wanting to trade his rims for mine so he could lower his car, etc.

I was told tho by my mechanic that using 17s would cause problems with the front of my car eventually. (cant remember exactly what). So thats why i went with 16s initially. But a lot of people put 17s on theirs and they seem fine.

So would this be a good trade? Honestly id rather have the 17s. But if itll cost me a bunch of money to have front end work down the road then ill pass.

Whats the pros and cons of having the 16s and 17s?

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
I have 17's on mine and I can't think of any problem they can cause over 16s. They look better IMO. As long as the tires between the sets are in comparable shape then it sounds like a pretty fair trade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the front rub the fenders any? Ive heard thats really the only problem people have had with the 17s.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Does the front rub the fenders any? Ive heard thats really the only problem people have had with the 17s.
Depends on overall tire size if they rub. I have 235/45/zr17 on my fronts lowered 2.25" and still don't have any rubbing issues. :good:

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got 17 on my 88 gt and they only rub when I have my wheel turned all the way but not a problem at all maybe in some tight parking situations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends on overall tire size if they rub. I have 235/45/zr17 on my fronts lowered 2.25" and still don't have any rubbing issues. :good:
I love the color of that stang. Looks beast. The tires he has on em are 205/45r17 front and 245/45r17 rear. Do you think thered be any problems there with those sizes?

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
I love the color of that stang. Looks beast. The tires he has on em are 205/45r17 front and 245/45r17 rear. Do you think thered be any problems there with those sizes?
Thanks :). If the wheels are 17x8 then no they'll be fine. If they are 17x9 I would run at least 245 in the front and 275 in the rear.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Wouldnt 245 be too wide for 17x9s in the front? Cause im assuming that their 17x9 all around
Not really, until you lower it a good bit. I had 245/45 on the front of mine for a little while and they only hit the fenders while turning and hitting a hard bump. A buddy of mine is running 275/40 on all 4 of his, lowered 1" and he claims he has no issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not really, until you lower it a good bit. I had 245/45 on the front of mine for a little while and they only hit the fenders while turning and hitting a hard bump. A buddy of mine is running 275/40 on all 4 of his, lowered 1" and he claims he has no issues.
So are you saying that the 205s in the front will be too small?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Too small for a 17x9 yes. After they wear out I would put a wider tire on there for sure.
Ahhh ok gotcha. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!! I dont know why my mechanic was straying me away from the 17s. Now i regret not getting em....

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Ahhh ok gotcha. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!! I dont know why my mechanic was straying me away from the 17s. Now i regret not getting em....
No problem, need anything else just let us know. :good:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts