Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I ended up getting the check service light coming on just before inspection (of course right?), and as far as I can tell so far, I don't think it's the gas cap, as I replaced it, and drove it a bit, so I'm not sure what else it may be.

Is there anyone here, who for a definite had a certain issue I should tackle first, I was going to go cheapest to most expensive, since sometimes the dumbest thing would cause the small emission leak. I looked that up it said something with the charcoal canister hoses. I'm not sure if it truly is that. It's a 2003 v6. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Could be any one of these things. Start with the simplest/cheapest.

A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube
Other small leak in EVAP system
Faulty vent o-ring seal
Defective vent valve
Defective purge valve
Defective leak detection pump

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I replaced the gas cap already with an actual locking one I bought since the old one looked gunked up. Figured I'd just buy a new one. Some say replace the grommet as that could do it too. Didn't turn it off even after I drove it for a bit though with the new cap, so I'll have to move onto the next thing. My other car, the focus, when it wasn't on all the way would turn the gas cap light on then eventually check engine. But, different cars all together.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Is the new gas cap an actual OEM (dealer bought) cap? It may sound weird, but sometimes only an OEM cap will work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I realized I'm leaking air on the passenger side egr tube where it meets the header. If I were you I'd get your car smoke tested.

I don't have emissions where I live so I'm deleting the whole egr system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I suppose I'll have to do that, or maybe just replace that part since you mentioned it. Problem is my first manual, so getting it to a shop is annoying, I don't have much time between work to try it out, so I also can't full get it there.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Sometimes, it is not the miles driven with a code fix in place, but the number of on/off cycles (typically five or more) for the engine......have you tried turning the code off to see if it comes back on?
Autozone has code readers, and will plug into your car for no fee, and I think they can turn off the code as well.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Man, P0442 is a PITA code.

I had already replaced the charcoal canister and purge valve, yet the code kept coming back. I smoke tested it and couldn't find the issue. Honestly, the smoke testing was harder than I thought.

Long story short, CHECK YOUR HOSES man. I had to go back to my mechanic and they swapped out the charcoal canister again, but the CEL came back in 2 days.
You know what it ended up being, or at least was also part of the problem?
Old hoses. Looked ok, but they were dry and cracking from the inside out. $2 fix from bulk vacuum hose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have actually cleared it, so far it hasn't come on, but I didn't drive that far, so maybe it was just the gas cap, I'm uncertain, but I plan on replacing hoses, and moldings, etc because it's all gonna dry rot eventually. I'm waiting to see then go down the list from smaller to bigger, like the hoses to replace. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts