Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I figured since I was on here already I might could get a more simplified response than all the advanced terminology I'd find by looking them up. My tuner gives descriptions but I really don't understand what it's saying lol.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I highly recommend you search these.. a very quick search yields pretty simple results, usually from other forums. That being said, I know that a p1000 is a Ford specific code you'll get from your car not running it's self diagnostics completely. It is not a fault, doesn't trip the MIL, and can be ignored. P06 series codes are PCM or ECM related, and P01 are O2 sensor related. All of these are probably caused by your tuner!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AgentOrange said:
I highly recommend you search these.. a very quick search yields pretty simple results, usually from other forums. That being said, I know that a p1000 is a Ford specific code you'll get from your car not running it's self diagnostics completely. It is not a fault, doesn't trip the MIL, and can be ignored. P06 series codes are PCM or ECM related, and P01 are O2 sensor related. All of these are probably caused by your tuner!
Sounds like no worries then, thank you. And the p01 was the only one to throw a check engine light.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Matticus said:
Sounds like no worries then, thank you. And the p01 was the only one to throw a check engine light.
Further diagnostics could determine that you have a lazy O2, but it isn't a pressing concern IMO. Go take it for a weekend spin! No, literally. Do a donut.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AgentOrange said:
Further diagnostics could determine that you have a lazy O2, but it isn't a pressing concern IMO. Go take it for a weekend spin! No, literally. Do a donut.
Might just have to take you up on that! Haha

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AgentOrange said:
Would the o2 sensor affect my mpg? In the past week my gas mileage feels like it's been cut in half. Tire pressure is good and I don't know what else might be causing it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Matticus said:
Would the o2 sensor affect my mpg? In the past week my gas mileage feels like it's been cut in half. Tire pressure is good and I don't know what else might be causing it.
O2 sensors do modify your fuel trim, but it typically isn't a staggering change. If your mileage was that bad you'd be smelling the richness in the exhaust. Try cleaning the MAF.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AgentOrange said:
O2 sensors do modify your fuel trim, but it typically isn't a staggering change. If your mileage was that bad you'd be smelling the richness in the exhaust. Try cleaning the MAF.
Yeah I can smell the exhaust pretty bad lol

·
Registered
991 Posts
Matticus said:
Yeah I can smell the exhaust pretty bad lol
You probably have a bigger problem than the O2, and running that rich may have ruined your catalytic converters already. Hopefully somebody that has had that issue with a Mustang can chime in because i'm not sure where to start the diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Look them up here, info straight from the Ford shop manual...

P1000 means the I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) monitor tests (O² sensors, cat, EGR, EVAP, etc) are incomplete. Flashing a tune or disconnecting the battery for more than 5 minutes will reset the I/M monitors and P1000 will be thrown until all tests are passed.

P0153 means a slow response from the front O² sensor on bank 2 (driver's side).

A bad O² sensor will cause the engine gobble up fuel. In closed loop mode the PCM uses feedback from the front sensor's to maintain AFR around 14.7:1. A failed sensor will generate a low, or no, output signal; the PCM interprets this as a lean mix and will add fuel to make the AFR 14.7:1--however the failed sensor still reports a lean mix. The PCM will add up to 25% more fuel before an O² sensor malfunction DTC is thrown, and then it will keep adding fuel up to 50% or so...

P0602 means the VID (Vehicle ID--VIN) data in the tune is corrupted, has this car had a tune flashed?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AgentOrange said:
You probably have a bigger problem than the O2, and running that rich may have ruined your catalytic converters already. Hopefully somebody that has had that issue with a Mustang can chime in because i'm not sure where to start the diagnosis.
I don't have cats haha.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
...but you still have O2 sensors?
Of course, two up front unless he's converted to speed/density engine management; used by the PCM to control the engine in closed-loop operation...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cliffyk said:
Look them up here, info straight from the Ford shop manual...

P1000 means the I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) monitor tests (O² sensors, cat, EGR, EVAP, etc) are incomplete. Flashing a tune or disconnecting the battery for more than 5 minutes will reset the I/M monitors and P1000 will be thrown until all tests are passed.

P0153 means a slow response from the front O² sensor on bank 2 (driver's side).

A bad O² sensor will cause the engine gobble up fuel. In closed loop mode the PCM uses feedback from the front sensor's to maintain AFR around 14.7:1. A failed sensor will generate a low, or no, output signal; the PCM interprets this as a lean mix and will add fuel to make the AFR 14.7:1--however the failed sensor still reports a lean mix. The PCM will add up to 25% more fuel before an O² sensor malfunction DTC is thrown, and then it will keep adding fuel up to 50% or so...

P0602 means the VID (Vehicle ID--VIN) data in the tune is corrupted, has this car has a tune flashed?
Can the o2 sensor be fixed or will it just have to be replaced?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Can the o2 sensor be fixed or will it just have to be replaced?
It needs to be replaced. You may want to replace both front sensors while you are under there, especially if the car has 80k miles or more.

Tell BAMA about the P602 code, they should be able to fix that...

·
Registered
991 Posts
cliffyk said:
Of course, two up front unless he's converted to speed/density engine management; used by the PCM to control the engine in closed-loop operation...
Right.... but if he only has bank 1 O2's, then he should have MILs or a tune. Looks like he has a Bama tune, which disables those bank 2's and feeds the ECU the voltage it would see in perfect conditions. That's where i'm puzzled. The ECU compares bank 1 (pre-cat) to bank 2 readings (after cats) and makes adjustments based on those readings. If anything, at least tuning bank 2 would keep the car from running that filthy rich if the O2's were the culprit?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cliffyk said:
It needs to be replaced. You may want to replace both front sensors while you are under there, especially if the car has 80k miles or more.

Tell BAMA about the P602 code, they should be able to fix that...
What issue would the p602 cause?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts