Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best "bang for your buck" when it comes to Coilovers? I have a 2014 5.0 and keep going back and forth between H&R super sport springs or spending the extra amount and getting coilovers. My plan is to go low as possible, but are coilsreally worth the extra money vs springs?

Also post if you have any for sale please!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i have 20" F14's that i need to clear as well as some rear end suspension work. The car will hopefully get boosted in the future but thats a ways away. As of now, im hoping to make it fast as possible with bolt on's so i obviously cant be slammed to the ground with that right?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Yeah, fast and slammed typically dont go hand in hand. The thing i tell most people is with a cheap coilover is you get adjustability at the cost of (more times than not) bad valving and poor spring rates.

Unless you're spending $1500-2000 on coilovers, your money is better spent on good shocks / struts / springs. If you really do want to go as low as possible, research shocks that have a shorter shock body so that you can still maintain suspension travel with a lowered car. Keeps it from being all bouncy. Pair that with a spring that has a good spring rate for drag racing (again, i expect you to do your own research), and you should be ok.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. Yeah im familiar with lowering, i've just never had coilovers before and everyone was saying to get racelands or BC's. But if i were to get springs and shorter shocks, would it sit lower than if i were to keep my stock shocks? My last mustang had the H&R super sports with the stock shocks and didnt ride bad at all. I had just always wanted it a little lower.

Thank you so much for your help by the way. I greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Get a complete kit, that is adjustable...adjustable coil overs.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm seconding what voltwings said. Pretty much, if you're under 2k you're better off with quality shocks and struts.

I hate the idea of air ride on mustangs, but if your goals are "as low as possible" then air ride is usually your best bet. The ride will be much nicer than slammed budget coilovers, and you can easily move the car up to clear obstacles or pull into rough driveways.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Okay. Yeah im familiar with lowering, i've just never had coilovers before and everyone was saying to get racelands or BC's. But if i were to get springs and shorter shocks, would it sit lower than if i were to keep my stock shocks? My last mustang had the H&R super sports with the stock shocks and didnt ride bad at all. I had just always wanted it a little lower.

Thank you so much for your help by the way. I greatly appreciate it!
They're called Ricelands for a reason. A shorter shock body will not be any shorter than the stock height shock body, all it does is free up suspension travel. You may not have thought the springs rode bad wit hthe stock height shocks, but they will ride better with the shorter body.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
Off topic... but I'm going to go out on a limb and say judging by your name and location we know each other. Andrew with the Bullitt here lol.

On topic... I concur with Voltwings. The best ride will be something with a shorter shock and strut, and also cost quite a bit. Typically under $2k and it may not ride the best, or be the best quality product. Most set ups with JRI shocks/struts are going to be phenomenal, but those will run you north of $4k+.... For the price, the Roush coilovers aren't too bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah we do! I know Cindy. They all call me Waldo. I use to have the black 2012 5.0. Thank you for the input. What are your thoughts on bc?

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
Yeah we do! I know Cindy. They all call me Waldo. I use to have the black 2012 5.0. Thank you for the input. What are your thoughts on bc?
I'm personally not a fan of BC. People seem to swear by it for if all you care about is getting as low as possible. But the quality definitely is not as great, same as the ride.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Kw v3 is the only coilover I'd put on my mustang.

·
Registered
582 Posts
There's definitely better out there than KW, but they aren't horrible. I'd definitely get them over BCs or anything in that price range.
The minimum I'd ever consider for coilovers would be the Vorshlag TrackPro kit.

I'll repeat, if your goal is just to be as low as possible, just do yourself the favor now and get bags.
If your main goal is performance, you should reconsider your "as low as possible" goal.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
There's definitely better out there than KW, but they aren't horrible. I'd definitely get them over BCs or anything in that price range.
The minimum I'd ever consider for coilovers would be the Vorshlag TrackPro kit.

I'll repeat, if your goal is just to be as low as possible, just do yourself the favor now and get bags.
If your main goal is performance, you should reconsider your "as low as possible" goal.
100% This.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts