Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting some coilovers mainly for the look but I don't want to have such a harsh ride either. I don't want to pay a crazy amount either. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
575 Posts
I know what not to buy. Eibach

·
Registered
476 Posts
The closest that you will get to a decent ride with a cheap set of coilovers is going to be the ground control sleeves on konis. Bilstein is your other good option.

·
Registered
476 Posts
BC Racing offers some nice products for a decent price. Most if their kits can be ordered with custom spring rates and adjustable bound/rebound.
No, just don't. The car performs significantly better in complete stock form than any setup on anything BC. They are a form above all else shock that has horrifying dyno charts (which is the part that actually matters). Every client I have ever dealt with that made the mistake of BC, was amazed when I put a Koni and factory spring on, by how much harder the car could be driven before loss of mechanical grip, and by how well it rode.

If you cheap out on coilovers, the result will invariably be unfortunate to say the least.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm looking into getting some coilovers mainly for the look but I don't want to have such a harsh ride either. I don't want to pay a crazy amount either. Any recommendations?
Sounds like lowering springs and shortened bilstein shocks/struts are what you're really looking for. Cheap coilovers will get you low but don't ride or handle all that great. The cheapest coilover setup I would consider is Vorshlag's custom Bilstein ones for around 2500. After that you have KWs and other much nicer setups in the 3k+ range.

Under 2k? Stick with springs and a good shock/strut combo.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would not KW either, my experience is that they are expensive in the long term due to springing leaks at awkward times. This becomes annoying because like Koni, they only do first party rebuilds, but they do not have any presence in North America, so you have to ship them back to Germany.

I love Bilstein, they build an excellent damper. For the price, a non adjustable Bilstein is roughly equal to a single adjustable Koni. On the street, I would rather buy a set of new Konis because of the lifetime warranty for the first owner. On track though, Bilstein double adjustable are the first really good damper you can buy without calling Vorshlag and asking for a set of Motion Controls or Penskes.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sadly I don't think Bilstein even makes adjustable dampers that fit the s197 chassis. But I'll argue that most people don't really know how to properly adjust their dampers anyway so they might be better off.

Basically, coilovers aren't worth it unless you're willing to spend 2500+, and most of the good ones are over 3k. At that point, with your goals of "low and soft ride" in mind, it sounds like you should just get air ride. (it pains me to say that, I hate bags on mustangs)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sadly I don't think Bilstein even makes adjustable dampers that fit the s197 chassis. But I'll argue that most people don't really know how to properly adjust their dampers anyway so they might be better off.

Basically, coilovers aren't worth it unless you're willing to spend 2500+, and most of the good ones are over 3k. At that point, with your goals of "low and soft ride" in mind, it sounds like you should just get air ride. (it pains me to say that, I hate bags on mustangs)
They do, but its a custom build so it isn't cheap. For street use you wouldn't really need adjustable dampers. You could get a good monotube setup with appropriate springs and you'll be golden for 90%+ of your driving.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
So no real coilovers?? I drive to Mustang Week and I guess I am pampered with good roads here in Naples. I wanted the ability to road trip higher and daily like I do now? BUT I do care about the ride and handling. Are you all saying I should just get Shocks and struts as not that different? Right now I have Eibach Sportline Springs with Eibach Prodamper shocks and struts

·
Registered
582 Posts
So no real coilovers?? I drive to Mustang Week and I guess I am pampered with good roads here in Naples. I wanted the ability to road trip higher and daily like I do now? BUT I do care about the ride and handling. Are you all saying I should just get Shocks and struts as not that different? Right now I have Eibach Sportline Springs with Eibach Prodamper shocks and struts
With cheap coilovers you gain ride height adjustment but lose ride quality and build quality. The price has to be reflected somewhere...

Springs and dampers won't be height adjustable, but that money goes towards quality instead (assuming you get good parts).

Really it sounds like what you want is air ride. Doh, said it again :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
With cheap coilovers you gain ride height adjustment but lose ride quality and build quality. The price has to be reflected somewhere...

Springs and dampers won't be height adjustable, but that money goes towards quality instead (assuming you get good parts).

Really it sounds like what you want is air ride. Doh, said it again :facepalm:
Doohh... air is sooo passe lol. I have spent a crap ton on the car. I dont like wasting money but dont mind spending for something good. That said I wouldnt jump from a GREAT 1000 set uf shocks struts to 3000 for great couil overs just so I can adjust height for a road trip 1-2 times a year. I would if in handled better and put/kept power to pavement better.

Steeda 2005-14 Mustang GT/Boss/V6 Stage 1 Coilover Suspension System - Made in USA 555-8127-1 | Free Shipping!

Not the cheapest but will give you the quality, handling & appearance you would expect from Steeda!

Best Regards,

TJ
TJ, says up to 2" drop. thats what I have now so not too bad. any sets with more variation? Also, there is only one review on this item. Anyone on here have the Steeda set? Steeda in Florida right? Hook me up with sweet install price?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts