Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about buying a mac cold air induction kit, but ive heard that you dont pick up that much horsepower gain. Would i be better off just to pick up a k and n air filter and saving the 170 bucks for summin else?

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
http://www.v6stangs.com/index.php?page=v6_stang_specs/articles/cai/index.php

That link above has a wealth of information about the Cold Air Intake. look through that and see if you have anymore questions and we will be glad to answer them

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
or make your own :D
Those are good, and
U can make one for $25 or less.
Plus filter price

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
or buy a nice and cheap 50 dolla one off ebay thats just as good as mac ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Falcon said:
or buy a nice and cheap 50 dolla one off ebay thats just as good as mac ;)
what he said.

there is no difference between the $40 CAI's on Ebay and the MAC CAI. the extra you are sending to MAC is only paying for the brand name. nothing more. all CAI's will do the same thing. its not like a port job where quality can make a huge difference. there isnt much of a net gain in power anyway. the CAI will make your car sound a little cooler and give you a little more throttle response. but thats about it. not worth almost $200 if you ask me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
why dont you skip the CAI and go for the blower like me??? j/p, but seriously, I hear good things and bad things about the CAI, some people swear by it and others say its a waste. I guess it might boil down to personal preference, but if you think about it, the idea that the CAI is based off of should give you more power. It sucks in cold air and puts that in the engine. Cool air always helps an engine.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Well, this thread has convinced me to get the eBay CAI lol

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
barly any difference in power... you get like 6-7rwhp and 5-6rwtq.... its for looks more than anything so get a nice looking one.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
mine is coming today, I can't wait :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got mine the other day off of EBay. It's installed but had to run to Ace Hardware to get 7mm bolts, washers and lock nuts and a hose clamp, Shuck's to get a 3" over stock length oil breather tube and a 90* PCV valve, the local truck stop to pick up a light bulb cover (to cover an unused hole on the CAI). After all was installed, was more impressed with the looks and sound of the CAI than the actual gains.

Now, I'm on the prowl for a UDP and waiting to hear from a guy who has a GT Take-Off exhaust (minus muffs) to let me know to send the money. He's getting it all packed up and ready for shipping.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That extra hole thats in the CAI is for the air temp sensor, the 01s have it built into the mass air meter. I used a vacuum cap on mine when i had it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
IMO they are worth it!
The only time I think it was not was on a 4 cylinder
'Stang I had, and that is cuz the stock stuff was not a restriction.
But I believe it was still worth the home-made unit I built, it seemed
to give the smallest gain perceptible and it looked better. The 4 banger
has the same size TB as a 94-98 V6 anyway...

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
im partial to the densecharger... they dynod 12 rwhp on the v6 and have the graphs to prove it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
what is the maintance on a CAI filter if any?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I felt like it's giving me some nice horse power.. the sound of course also interesting but sometimes it irritates the hell out of me. Oh well :p I love how it looks!

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
ZimStang said:
im partial to the densecharger... they dynod 12 rwhp on the v6 and have the graphs to prove it.
I had a Densecharger had it dynoed and I got about 4 RWHP gain. I took it off and put on a MAC CAI and had no loss of power!!!!!

CAI's are a great mod when you are planning to do future mods just like dual exhaust. The gains are not realized until you start the engine mods like P&P intakes, heads and cam, nitrous or Superchargers then you will see the true benefit of CAI or dual exhaust.

Remember CAI or dual exhaust is not the end but the beginning of the mods that will lead you to more performance and HP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
02Stang said:
You can go to an auto parts store and pick up a K&N recharge kit and use that to clean the filter. The filters are supposed to be re-usable, yet I'm not sure if you oil them like a K&N filter. I think recommended cleaning is around 5000 mi. Of course that depends on the enviroment you are in. The more dusty the area, then clean it more often.

·
Registered
126 Posts
02Stang said:
I made my own cold air intake with a rubber flex hose, some hose clamps, and a cone shaped K&N filter. My filter is down infront of the right wheel well behind the facia so it sucks up cold air. Since its down low it sucks up more then just air and mine gets dirty pretty fast. I buy the K&N filter recharger kit and I use it about 20,000 mile intervals or so.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts