Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Mustang GT that I bought last May. The car has a K & N Cold Air Intake which was on the car when I bought it.

About two months ago I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden the car shut down and wouldn't run. When this happened, I was able to pull of at an exit and coast to a stop. I opened the hood and found the Cold Air Intake became separated from the intake side of the throttle body. I reconnected them, the car started and I've been driving it ever since.

I don't know if it's my imagination or not but since this happened it seems to me that when I accelerate the car feels, and sounds. like its "loading-up" (Something like a 4-barrel carb that's running too rich). I don't recall the car responsing this way before the CAI separated.

I'd say the car needs a computer tune but K & N claims that you don't need to tune your car with their CAI. I'm at a loss.

Any comments?

Thanks, bob1726

·
Registered
223 Posts
Could it possibly be dirty? Have you cleaned the filter recently? Also, you might check out your sensors and see if they have any gunk build up on them. If they're not getting the right readings, your computer may be adjusting the air/fuel mixture causing a lean or rich scenario. If the filter is dirty you may not be getting enough air through it to run properly as well, starving the engine at higher speeds. If you do happen to clean anything as far as electronics and sensors, i'd be very careful what you use and how you do it, they're sensitive and should use the proper chemicals that won't damage the sensors...whatever that may be.
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
916 Posts
bob1726 said:
I have an 07 Mustang GT that I bought last May. The car has a K & N Cold Air Intake which was on the car when I bought it.

About two months ago I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden the car shut down and wouldn't run. When this happened, I was able to pull of at an exit and coast to a stop. I opened the hood and found the Cold Air Intake became separated from the intake side of the throttle body. I reconnected them, the car started and I've been driving it ever since.

I don't know if it's my imagination or not but since this happened it seems to me that when I accelerate the car feels, and sounds. like its "loading-up" (Something like a 4-barrel carb that's running too rich). I don't recall the car responsing this way before the CAI separated.

I'd say the car needs a computer tune but K & N claims that you don't need to tune your car with their CAI. I'm at a loss.

Any comments?

Thanks, bob1726
I would get a tune for it anyways. It will make a big difference and you'll feel the benefit of the cold air intake

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would get a tune for it anyways. It will make a big difference and you'll feel the benefit of the cold air intake
Yeah but I wonder if they did tune it, are you just treating the symptom of the root problem. In the end, if you replace a bad sensor, you're going to probably need to get it re-tuned again.

Personally i'd want to know the problem was resolved first, and the car was running well, then get the tune done. If the vendor doesn't require one, that would point to an issue being elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.

Are you getting any check engine codes? Might be a good place to start, see what the car is trying to tell you first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Before you consider a tune, I recommend doing some minor maintenance. Your MAF Sensor may have built up oil and dirt. Buy a spray can of electrical contact cleaner that leaves no residue, remove the sensor and spray it clean. Do Not physically clean the sensor with a brush because the electrode will get damaged. Then clean and oil your K&N filter with a recharger kit. While you're at it, change your fuel filter as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cold Air Intake and needed tune

I appreciate the quick responses and the suggestions that make a lot of sense.

1.) The filter does look dirty so I'll clean it and re-oil.

2.) Using electrical contact cleaner is another suggestion that makes sense and one I'll try.

I'll add a follow-up post after performing the above tasks.

Thanks again. bob1726

·
Registered
136 Posts
I may be wrong but since you drove it even for a little bit before you and the car realized it was off it could of possibly sent something to computer in your car saying its getting too much air to add fuel so in return like you said it very could possibly be running rich what I would do is let it cool off make sure your connections to cai is on right along with maf and disconnect the battery for 20 minutes I believe to reset the computer then reconnect and start up see if you can tell a difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 02GtRespect for your comments.
I actually sold my 07 GT in November and now I'm looking to buy an 01 or 08-09 Bullitt.
I appreciate your comments and if I ever have a similar issue I'll be sure to take your suggestion into consideration. Thanks again, bob1726

1 - 12 of 12 Posts