Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on a cold air intake.....I have heard many different things but I need feedback from actual people who have installed...I.E. Brand, H.P. gains and I want it to look good under the hood....Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
Its all who you ask. You talk to the guys actually racing and testing these cars. And they will tell you they are a waste of money. That they seem to show power on the dyno but pick up nothing at the track for MPH/E.T.

On that though I like the way the Carbon Fiber JLT looks.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
wnt2gofst said:
Its all who you ask. You talk to the guys actually racing and testing these cars. And they will tell you they are a waste of money. That they seem to show power on the dyno but pick up nothing at the track for MPH/E.T.

On that though I like the way the Carbon Fiber JLT looks.
Ya..... That's why they all run with them vs the factory air box!.. Your not making much sense there bud!..

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
Ya..... That's why they all run with them vs the factory air box!.. Your not making much sense there bud!..
Go onto modularfords/S197/SVT and look at all the guys running low 11's that are in fact running factory air boxes. There is least 4 others that said they will sell you there cold air cause it did nothing switching back and forth at the track on the same day running both ways.

A shop or sponsored car will tell you all day t hey picked this up or that up at the track with this or that. Why cause they are there to sell parts. Make money. Facts are there. And I wish I would have not wasted money on my CAI. Besides looking good they have shown no gains on real owners cars.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Dude... Your saying that they show an improvement on a dyno but magically lose it at the track!.. That doesn't make sense!.. And every car I've seen... Sponsored or otherwise... Has had some sort of CAI!.. How can some thing show an improvement on a dyno and not at the track!..

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
Dude... Your saying that they show an improvement on a dyno but magically lose it at the track!.. That doesn't make sense!.. And every car I've seen... Sponsored or otherwise... Has had some sort of CAI!.. How can some thing show an improvement on a dyno and not at the track!..
Cause the gains are really from the tune. Not the cold air. Like said do some research there is least 4 cars I know of that run stock air box that all run from 11.1-11.4. Here is 3 that don't run a cold air at all. I knwo one that had it form this group that took it off and tested it at the track back to back runs. Showed no gains. So took it off and sold it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Get a CAI without the tune, the tune will void your warranty anyway. You will only get about 12 hp but they look great under the hood, especially the stainless steel ones. BBK has a video on there website on how easy the installation is.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If you get all Ford Racing products, and have them installed at a authorized Ford dealer then your warranty should be just fine.

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
I bought into the whole cold air thing at first. Then I started seeing people running just as fast and faster with out it. Facts are facts. Its all in the tune. SOme think all tunes are equal. And well they simply not.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
In '05 and newer a CAI by itself really will not make much of a difference... Because your TB is controlled electronically!.. You have no throttle cable!.. But with a tune and a CAI you will notice a difference!...

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
As a matter of fact, the only reason I have a CAI is because the stock inlet tube does not mount up to the Boss 302 Intake Manifold. There is a kit available now, but it was not when I put my Boss in.

·
Registered
702 Posts
wnt2gofst said:
Go onto modularfords/S197/SVT and look at all the guys running low 11's that are in fact running factory air boxes. There is least 4 others that said they will sell you there cold air cause it did nothing switching back and forth at the track on the same day running both ways.

A shop or sponsored car will tell you all day t hey picked this up or that up at the track with this or that. Why cause they are there to sell parts. Make money. Facts are there. And I wish I would have not wasted money on my CAI. Besides looking good they have shown no gains on real owners cars.
With the boss application the larger intake should help right? Being I'm going full exhaust also, more air in and more air out right?all the mods I have combined with a good tune should all work in unison to create a higher a/f rate and make better power right? Same concept with forced induction.

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
With the boss application the larger intake should help right? Being I'm going full exhaust also, more air in and more air out right?all the mods I have combined with a good tune should all work in unison to create a higher a/f rate and make better power right? Same concept with forced induction.
Two of the cars I posted have Boss intakes and the stock boss factory intake. A lot of people still feel it is worthless.

A/F can be adjusted with the tune. Lean is mean.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
I wonder if you have a scooped hood that directs outside air directly over your CAI filter. A dyno wouldn't show gains from that (if any) but I wonder if the gains would be noticeable on the track?

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
I wonder if you have a scooped hood that directs outside air directly over your CAI filter. A dyno wouldn't show gains from that (if any) but I wonder if the gains would be noticeable on the track?
Well look at it this way. Every one always dyno's with the hood open so it can draw more air in. This its self is a flawed way to dyno since you don't race with hood open. Close the hood and place the fan so it would be pulled in as it would be on the track. Few have done this and showed that the Cold Air don't pull much more then a stock box.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts