Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas...... I have a 2015 Mustang GT. I also have a 03' Cobra and an 88 LX 5.0. I've installed air raid cold air intakes on both of the older ones with no issues, but when looking into one for my 15' I was told it would require a particular tune, or wouldn't run properly.

Can anyone with a cold air intake on their 15' or like model elaborate on this?

Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You do not need a tune with it however unless you're buying it for looks only you're wasting your money on it.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
For looks and sound only. Factory intake is more than adequate as far as flow is concerned.

There are tons of threads, at least one a week on this subject. Put "cold air intake" into the search bar up at the top.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Hey fellas...... I have a 2015 Mustang GT. I also have a 03' Cobra and an 88 LX 5.0. I've installed air raid cold air intakes on both of the older ones with no issues, but when looking into one for my 15' I was told it would require a particular tune, or wouldn't run properly.

You do not need a tune with it however unless you're buying it for looks only you're wasting your money on it.

If an intake says it requires a tune, it requires a tune. The reason an intake would require a tune is if the MAF diameter changes from stock. MAF diameter is a crucial calculation in fuel flow, so if you swap to a larger intake without accounting for the change in diameter, the car will run lean.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If an intake says it requires a tune, it requires a tune. The reason an intake would require a tune is if the MAF diameter changes from stock. MAF diameter is a crucial calculation in fuel flow, so if you swap to a larger intake without accounting for the change in diameter, the car will run lean.
Thanks but why are you telling ME something I don't already know?:blink:

Airaid has a no tune intake you can buy.:cool:

·
Registered
3,705 Posts

Thanks but why are you telling ME something I don't already know?:blink:

Airaid has a no tune intake you can buy.:cool:
I'm not here to call anyone a liar, just pointing out an inconsistency.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
There's no inconsistency at all. The OP was given false information. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did find the air raid intake that doesn't require a tune. I researched the stock intake and the guy who said it would only be for looks is probably onto something. I just have to decide if I think that it looks cool enough to spend $340 on. I bought the car with a tune in it, although the dealer wasn't familiar with the installed tune so I think I'm kind of limited anyways.....

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
This is an endless thread. It's going in circles.

It's beginning to border on mindless amusement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is an endless thread. It's going in circles.

It's beginning to border on mindless amusement.

Sorry....... I was under the assumption these types of forums were about having a discussion to share knowledge. Is there a maximum to the number of posts that can be made on these?

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Sorry....... I was under the assumption these types of forums were about having a discussion to share knowledge. Is there a maximum to the number of posts that can be made on these?

What he means is there are one or two of these a week. It gets repetitive with the same questions and same responses. It's ok. We are all in this together. If your CAI is advertised as tune required, then you will need a tune. If not then no. I'm not sure how you can tell your car is tuned without a tuner to verify. All the dealer can do is flash it back to stock. If you don't know what tune you have or even if it is tuned, you're guessing as to which CAI to buy. I installed one, yes. I like the looks and sound, but mine was less than $200. $340? No way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah up here in Canada our dollar is crap so we pay a little extra. It has the borla cat back exhaust on it too, which also would require a tune as well wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Jak, do what I did and get a used one.....less than 1/2 price and on my V6 it was worth the sound to $ ratio.

+1 on JK no tune for cat back exhaust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you very much for the insight fellas, I love the cars, but my mechanical knowledge doesn't stretch much further than brake jobs and oil changes lol. Glad I can pick the brains of those with lots of knowledge.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts

Sarcasm Jakked.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts