Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spray painted it my key with 2 coats of primer, 5 coats of thinnish white, and 3 coats of clear. The end result looks nice but is too thick to be clean looking. Also kinda sticky. Anyway I'm thinkin of nail polish or just using the white since it has a primer in it. I used plastic bonding paint. Either way its getting cleared.

I must be stupid when it comes to rattle can painting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Why don't you open a businsess and make color coated keys for all sports cars?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't sand the key because if it turns out bad I can just get the paint off without much damage to the key. I sanded the primer and the actual white but its just too thick or something. I'm gonna try nail polish next. Girly I know but it can get the job done I believe.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
I didn't sand the key because if it turns out bad I can just get the paint off without much damage to the key. I sanded the primer and the actual white but its just too thick or something. I'm gonna try nail polish next. Girly I know but it can get the job done I believe.
Like touch up paint you you'll have brush marks

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
Whitelightning said:
I spray painted it my key with 2 coats of primer, 5 coats of thinnish white, and 3 coats of clear. The end result looks nice but is too thick to be clean looking. Also kinda sticky. Anyway I'm thinkin of nail polish or just using the white since it has a primer in it. I used plastic bonding paint. Either way its getting cleared.

I must be stupid when it comes to rattle can painting.
Why ?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's very vague. Cause I envy Ferrari and Porsche keys. A GT owner did it on here but mine didn't turn out so well. The cuts aren't so great though

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Like touch up paint you you'll have brush marks
Have you tried it?

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Btw has anyone worked with painting with spray paint? When do I take the tape off so its the cleanest?

·
Registered
411 Posts
like your effort and im thinking about doing this in sterling grey! well good luck on making it awesome.. should have tryed o a cheaper key from ebay.. that what im going to do... 30 dollars

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
If it's sticky, it's because you didn't let it dry completely between coats. Most rattle can paints take a long time.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
like your effort and im thinking about doing this in sterling grey! well good luck on making it awesome.. should have tryed o a cheaper key from ebay.. that what im going to do... 30 dollars
Why not buy a blank from Home Depot? Or can you do that?

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

If it's sticky, it's because you didn't let it dry completely between coats. Most rattle can paints take a long time.
That's what the gf said. She's ironically a painter/sculpture as her hobbie. I gave it over 8 hours to dry. I think it had too many coats too as its thick as gummy feeling

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Whitelightning said:
That's what the gf said. She's ironically a painter/sculpture as her hobbie. I gave it over 8 hours to dry. I think it had too many coats too as its thick as gummy feeling
Lol, 1. That isn't ironic. Unless you mean she makes fun of people who paint by painting.(I know grammar hitler is here...)
2. That's not even close to long enough to dry. They need at least double that. A single coat would probably be ok after 8 but you've got several coats now that are all fighting to cure and. Those paints are really thick and they take a long time to dry. It's not thin like automotive paint.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol, 1. That isn't ironic. Unless you mean she makes fun of people who paint by painting.(I know grammar hitler is here...)
2. That's not even close to long enough to dry. They need at least double that. A single coat would probably be ok after 8 but you've got several coats now that are all fighting to cure and. Those paints are really thick and they take a long time to dry. It's not thin like automotive paint.
She makes fun of my attempts at painting and plasti dipping my rims, etc. but I can take my nail and chip it off and start over

1 - 15 of 15 Posts