Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The one on the top is aftermarket aluminum.
The one on the bottom is stock V6

I wonder why the stock one's break???

Ronnie

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have seen the stock ds before but its interesting to see them side by side.....

way to suck Ford lol

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
My Shaftmasters was around 17 lbs with bolts and my stock was 41lbs with U Joint. Feels great!

·
Registered
154 Posts
They break because they are not meant to spin as fast as people want to drive them.

And I am guessing the joint in the center is the failure point that causes that problem.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Well, that small diameter joint on a big shaft doesn't exactly look the strongest thing in the world.

Still, I'm not calling it crap or otherwise. I have yet to see any evidence of this being a consistent problem. I bet there are tons of idiots running them without limiters after tuning because they haven't heard of the one horror story that exist.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The one on my car looks more like this

evolutionm.net - View Single Post - SmikeEvo's 2011 Mustang v6 Performance Package - HD Pics

But this car is a 2011 in the thread above.. So is the one in the OP a GT shaft or did they change them again? MZy 06 GT had one that looked like the one in the OP... I swapped it out as it was also prone to twisting but under a lot of torque load and I had steep gears in it so.. Anyway? Which one is it in the V6 or did they make a couple of different DS for them? I know the 13 shaft is supposed to be a bit different and lighter than the 11 and the 12 but the thread I posted has a DS shown that looks like the 13 in my car. Confused. ???

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Sanguin, I saw a bracket by JHR on Ebay I think it is 50 bucks and looks like the Steeda one FYI. It makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm going to grab the Barton 2-post. Might as well get the best if you're getting one. I have no real plans for a short shifter or I'd be saving for an MGW.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Both are 2011/2012 type Drive shafts.

They changed them in 2013 from the one on the bottom in the picture which is a stock driveshaft off of a 2011. A 2012 has that same one. The one on the top is an aftermarket aluminum one like American Muscle sells.

I'm trying to find a picture of one that they now put in the 2013's but not having any luck.

Rinnie

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have the older barton but I drove a car with the new one and I could not feel the difference. The newer design is easier to install though. I will go.with the mgw as well if and when I do the shifter. I had issues with the sve one so I cant recommend it. The stock shifter with the bracket is a big improvement though and honestly I think I like the stock shifter enough to not swap it out.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

The 2013 looks just like the one in the thread I posted.. wider in the center with the grooves in the shaft on the front side.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
ronnie948 said:
They changed them in 2013 from the one on the bottom in the picture which is a stock driveshaft off of a 2011. A 2012 has that same one. The one on the top is an aftermarket aluminum one like American Muscle sells.

I'm trying to find a picture of one that they now put in the 2013's but not having any luck.

Rinnie
I believe SOME 13s may have the old driveshaft also, sir.

And I remember seeing one on here, but I also have way too many threads to check for it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have the older barton but I drove a car with the new one and I could not feel the difference. The newer design is easier to install though. I will go.with the mgw as well if and when I do the shifter. I had issues with the sve one so I cant recommend it. The stock shifter with the bracket is a big improvement though and honestly I think I like the stock shifter enough to not swap it out.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

The 2013 looks just like the one in the thread I posted.. wider in the center with the grooves in the shaft on the front side.
I have a 13 manual and has the new ds.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts