Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 2.3 turbo in my 88 xr4ti. She runs great when I pull but at idle it misses kinda bad. I've been through everything in the ignition system. I checked my compression on 2 cylinders, while it was cold. One was 92 the other was 65. (Supposed to be 140ish? ) The car has a lot of power and runs really good other than at idle. Is it time for a rebuild? Or maybe I'm off on timing? Any suggestions are great if I gotta rebuild I have a roller fox it's going into.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Yes. Those two cylinders are low.
It's possible that there is a problem with the valves. Or perhaps a blown head gasket could be the culprit... Especially if the two cylinders with low compression are next to each other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that helps a lot. I was talking to my ASE master at work he suggested a retime before I junk it just to be sure.

Sent from my XT1565 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: so timing cover is off the belt is newer but the gears and tensioner...not so much, so it very well could have slipped a tooth or two. Not holding my breath,but would be nice to drive this again before snow hits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I have retimed and had slightly better compression. About 20psi more at running temp. Sad to say the motor is blown. It runs and drives ok but idle not so much. So there will be a rebuild when I'm done with my small block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts