Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'll be turning in my truck this summer and will need to get into something new. I've really been looking into the Focus ST's, and from what I can tell they look like they'd make one fun little daily driver.

Anyone on here own one or have some experience driving one? I plan on driving one real soon but sometimes it's nice to hear from people with experience.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a friend with one and have driven it. I would put it in the same category as my v6 mustang. It's a fun car to drive daily but isn't the fastest car in the world. It seems reliable enough for him but can't really speak a whole lot to that aspect of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
My youngest son just bought one and loves it. The Recaro seats fit him perfectly as he is about 145 lbs. My oldest son is 170 lbs, and when he rode in it, his first question was, "are the sides of these seats adjustable?" He said the way they pressed in on him on the rib cage was nearly painful.
The Recaros are great seats if you fit them.....but too firm and not wide enough if you don't.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a friend with one and have driven it. I would put it in the same category as my v6 mustang. It's a fun car to drive daily but isn't the fastest car in the world. It seems reliable enough for him but can't really speak a whole lot to that aspect of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
And honestly I'm just looking for a fun car as a daily, not a fast one. I have my "fast" car for doing stupid things lol.

I love my truck but don't need a truck anymore and really want to get a manual car for daily driving.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I bought a new one Jan 13 and drove it to Jan 15 when I traded it for an Ecoboost S550, put 35k miles on it.

I am 6ft and 220, the Recaro seats were comfortable to sit in but I could not get out of the car over the side bolster without hitting my head on the door frame opening. I wound up getting an ST with the base sport seats, these were perfect with no banging of my head.

The car was a blast to drive but for daily driver use the steering is a little to quick and sensitive.

IMHO, the Ecoboost Mustang is a much better daily driver. The steering is perfect for daily driving, the interior is a much nicer place to spend time, the Mustang is much more composed on bad roads, it's quicker and only gives up 1-2 mpg to the Focus.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I had a Focus ST for a few days and on a few auto x courses and it's an alright car. It's a bit tight for a bigger person. I'm 6'3 - 260 lbs and built like a linebacker and the Recaros just felt cramped by my shoulders.

I wasn't a fan of the interior of the ST. I just didn't like the design of it.

On the performance side, it was a fun car. Handled very well for being wrong wheel drive. Not fast but enough. Straight line speed, it's probably equal to a new edge 4.6 2V, manual.

If you are open minded and not stuck buying Fords, I would recommend a new Subaru WRX or a VW GTI. Both cars are about the same money but in my opinion, just better cars and seem to hold their value more, at least around my area. Also, seeing that you are from Wisconsin, that WRX with a set of Blizzaks for winter would be an absolute beast in the snow.

If you are looking at an optioned out ST and want to stick with Ford, seriously look at the Fusion Sport even though it's only available as an automatic. It's an Ecoboost 2.7 V6, with AWD and 6spd auto. Basically a mini Taurus SHO.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a Focus ST for a few days and on a few auto x courses and it's an alright car. It's a bit tight for a bigger person. I'm 6'3 - 260 lbs and built like a linebacker and the Recaros just felt cramped by my shoulders.

I wasn't a fan of the interior of the ST. I just didn't like the design of it.

On the performance side, it was a fun car. Handled very well for being wrong wheel drive. Not fast but enough. Straight line speed, it's probably equal to a new edge 4.6 2V, manual.

If you are open minded and not stuck buying Fords, I would recommend a new Subaru WRX or a VW GTI. Both cars are about the same money but in my opinion, just better cars and seem to hold their value more, at least around my area. Also, seeing that you are from Wisconsin, that WRX with a set of Blizzaks for winter would be an absolute beast in the snow.

If you are looking at an optioned out ST and want to stick with Ford, seriously look at the Fusion Sport even though it's only available as an automatic. It's an Ecoboost 2.7 V6, with AWD and 6spd auto. Basically a mini Taurus SHO.
Funny you mention the WRX. Last weekend a good buddy of mine's cousin stopped by the shop with his '17 WRX. Always owned Fords but I have to admit it was a solid car. I thought it was fairly optioned out with the stuff it had, turned out to be a base car, $27k.

Definitely adding one to the list now.

And the Fusion Sport is on the list too. Might go and drive one this weekend to see how it is. Residual value is decent on them for a lease too. Well over 50% for a 24 mo/36 mo. term.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well test drove this little guy on Saturday and was pretty impressed. Picked her up yesterday afternoon. Fun car with 2.7 EB.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Awesome choice.

One of my friends that works for Ford told me about the Fusion sport and it's kinda sneaky release. Basically summed it up as a mini SHO and told me to go look at one.

I went and drove one and honestly came away impressed by it.

I was so impressed that I nearly bought one, even after swearing off new Fords for a few years after all the issues I had with my 2014 Mustang. I actually tried trading in my Mustang for a SHO a few years ago.

Any plans on tuning and some exhaust work?

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I had a rental of that Fusion for one week/1K miles. I was real impressed.....build quality of what I equate to a Honda and while it didn't slam you into the seat I did one pull with it and was shocked when I looked and was doing 80.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome choice.

One of my friends that works for Ford told me about the Fusion sport and it's kinda sneaky release. Basically summed it up as a mini SHO and told me to go look at one.

I went and drove one and honestly came away impressed by it.

I was so impressed that I nearly bought one, even after swearing off new Fords for a few years after all the issues I had with my 2014 Mustang. I actually tried trading in my Mustang for a SHO a few years ago.

Any plans on tuning and some exhaust work?
Ya I was impressed too. Obviously not a full blown race car nor imo does it compete with BMWs or Audis like I think they may have intended it to but still very enjoyable. I was actually gonna get into a SHO before this a month or so ago but really didn't want to spend over 40k. I think this will be more nimble and perform just as well with a tune.

Which I have to do some research on. I am sure there is someone working on an access port and the usual EB tuning suspects will produce tunes if they haven't already.

I had a rental of that Fusion for one week/1K miles. I was real impressed.....build quality of what I equate to a Honda and while it didn't slam you into the seat I did one pull with it and was shocked when I looked and was doing 80.
I have driven 2.0L Fusions and they were nice too. Very smooth, power was decent for the setup. This one is amped up a bit. But still very comfortable when you're on the highway.

Seems solid so far. Quiet inside, Sony system sounds great. I really like how you can option in things you want and not be stuck with crap you don't need.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
my rental was a eco-boost (not sure what size) platinum was on tailgate I assume that was trim level. A recent return so they upgraded me so they didn't have to clean it. I was real impressed with it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If I were to get one, I would probably go with a livernois tune for now.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631145

Their stage 2 93 octane tune, makes 324 whp and 374 wtq. Peak torque at 3200 rpm.

I'd imagine once you could open up the exhaust, there might be another 30 - 50 whp and probably another 30 - 40 wtq along with faster spool times. I'm not sure how much flow is left in those likely small turbos.

I would think, with just a tune and exhaust, that the 2.7 TT should be able to run a low-mid 12, probably around 108 - 112 mph. That would make for a fun all weather DD. I think stock they run like a 13.7 @ 103 or something similar to the EB and 3.7 Mustangs.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's who I'd probably go with too. Seems like their unit is fairly solid and they offer a nice range of tunes. Only downside to me is being stuck with a proprietary handheld.

Wonder if an access port will be available soon?

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
Those Fusion Sports are nice but they start at $33k damn... Mileage is kinda meh too. I was looking at the Fiesta ST for a 2018 or 2019 MY purchase myself but congrats on that Fusion. Even at that price I guess its a lot of car for the money. Buddy of mine paid mid $20k range for a brand new WRX (not STI) a year ago and that thing is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I seriously debated selling my SHO for a Fusion Sport last year. If I remember right, the Fusion had a better power to weight ratio and wasn't such a heavy beast. Plus you could airbag it. I ended up getting my Rogue instead, but both the SHO and Sport were amazing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts