Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill first start with opinions. I will be starting grad school in the fall, by that time I will likely have over 6,000 saved up(and my dad loves me and cars enough to help out if it was needed). I am considering FI on my 2012 auto gt which is my daily until winter. I would run around 500rwhp but also like to crank it up a bit considering I have heard people running 600rwhp on stock internals(I would not want to push it that much). My mechanic friend says I am stupid for considering it but I love speed and cars. Considering school will cost me 100k I figure saving the 6K wont help me much so I might as well have fun while I can(I would end up blowing the money anyways if I dont save for car stuff). What would you guys do?
And next, I thought I would do a tvs like vmp/rousch but now I am not sure and have thought about a paxton. The tvs seems to have more power low and the paxton is a sort of linear curve? Is there any difference in vmp vs rousch?
I also already have a mike rousch tune and I have loved the car after him but if I go vmp it would probably be better to buy a kit as a whole with their tuning or should I email him and see what style and such he recommends?
Besides the S/C I would also have to do brakes but I would prob keep base brakes but go with ss lines and better pads/rotors and such versus spending extra for brembos. I would also go with a bigger tire because atm i run mt street comps 275 in back on 18x10 rims.
Any comments are welcome, even those telling me to search but I have some and want to have a current conversation rather than skim older stuff just incase questions arise. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
VMP is a better Roush blower. There's pros and cons as you already know. I'd shoot for a TVS.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the price differences? All said and done vmp vs paxton? Seems like vmp would cost like a grand more but I dont know what kits and such I would get or the extras. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I'd save some more and do a VMP PD blower. You'll likely get more of what satisfies right away with that. Install is way easier and tuning is less frustrating in some ways. 6k ain't going to cut it here. You are going to want to upgrade tires and suspension, unless you want to die here.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have some bmr im the back-- upper and lower control arms with brackets, and panhard bar. Then i have springs and yellow konis all around. I know I would have to change my tires to atleast bigger if not a better compound

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Go VMP and don't look back.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ive actually been leaning towards the paxton now ? seems like for the price there is room to grow if I want to, while being under vmp price. I know the paxton feels stock down low(who races in low rpm though) but theres always the booster to give it more down low. Ive seen that there are more cars running the paxton setting lower times. Im not going for a race car though, just a fun daily that I can play with. Seeing everyone say vmp makes me just rethink everything ive seen so far =[

At the same boost which has the "better or more usable" power? Example, on my last car a company that made a SC and the car dynoed good power got killed by same type of car with just a tune.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Trust me, if you want a fun, daily, go with a positive displacement blower. Vorpax feel like a soggy stocker off boost and needs high rpm and load to deliver power. The torque booster can't eliminate this basic function of this design of supercharger and just adds alot of needless complexity.

at this level of expense, a few hundred bucks shouldn't be the deciding factor in which blower you choose.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would the lowest vmp kit be best or what? I have a tuner but have mike rousch tunes currently so with vmp would switch more than likely

·
Banned
145 Posts
Would the lowest vmp kit be best or what? I have a tuner but have mike rousch tunes currently so with vmp would switch more than likely
It sounds like you are in the same position as me. I had a tune from Mike Roush when my car was N/A and then 7 months later I had a VMP GenII Stage 2 kit installed and tuned. 82mm pulley option with the kit.

However, I did not have Justin tune it. I ended up going local. I won't rant here about email tunes and my troubles with the tuning with VMP. PM me for details if you are interested.

Overall, the kit is great. I am getting just over 600 RWHP and a flat torque curve, 495 ftlbs across the band on crappy AZ 91 octane gas. No complaints.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I would have Justin @ VMP do the tuning if you go with the VMP kit. He knows his shiit as far as the calibrations go with the kit.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
The most important thing in a pd setup is the heat exchanger. We're pushing the limit with the high compression of the coyote plus boost, on pump gas. Buy as much heat exchanger as you can afford.

·
Banned
145 Posts
The most important thing in a pd setup is the heat exchanger. We're pushing the limit with the high compression of the coyote plus boost, on pump gas. Buy as much heat exchanger as you can afford.
The GenII Stage II kit comes with a dual fan triple pass heat exchanger. It was absolutely needed here in the Phoenix summers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So a stage 2 kit with just regular options? Is it worth it to switch to e85? I would have to verify how many stations around me have it. Ill be in my state for atleast 4 more years then I want to move south

·
Banned
145 Posts
So a stage 2 kit with just regular options? Is it worth it to switch to e85? I would have to verify how many stations around me have it. Ill be in my state for atleast 4 more years then I want to move south
The GenII Stage 2 kit should get you to 550 to 600 RWHP. Heat exchanger, 82mm pulley for ~10psi, 47lb injectors, twin 60mm throttle body, 123mm CIA.

If you want to tune over email (*shudders*), then you need to talk to VMP about the e85. Here in Arizona, e85 has been replaced with e54, so check your state. Some of the people I have spoken to locally said they lost a little bit of power which doesn't seem to bother them, but you will need refinements to an email tune that is meant for e85.

DynoComp, based in Scottsdale and is known for Subarus, posted informed their customer's months ago about coming back in for a retune because of the change over to e54.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does there happen to be anyone with a vmp in the metro detroit area? Or even the paxton. Ill probably shoot vmp an email. I agree that at this price I need to get what will be better for me, I just keep bouncing back and forth =[ I truly appreciate all of the help so far!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Supercharger

I just bought the E force from Brenspeed with a few upgrades and just about completed the install. The kit came to 6480 and edelbrock is sending a 500 rebate.
It is liquid cooled and I'm just about complete with the install.
I too was thinking about a Centrifugal but ended up going this route.
Install is time consuming no matter which route you go, because you have to remove the bumper and fascia trim regardless of which type you go with.
I'll let you know how it all ends up.
I expect to have it running by the end of the week and may take it for a couple of pulls to get an idea what it has at rear wheels.
Won't be this weekend though.
Day time highs in the 20's

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yea I hate the winter. What tires is everyone with FI running? Im staying with 18in rims but prob switching tire width and maybe compound from street et

·
Registered
900 Posts
Fwiw, the gen II VMP has better air flow than the Roush unit but it seems you aren't contemplating a Roush blower anyway. Gotta pm FirstGen and ask about email issues with VMP tunes? I have a Roush blower and switched to VMP, 2 years on email tune and all's been great. No problem initially getting the tune, installing, data logging and getting updated tune after install either. Dying to get the VMP elbow and twin TB from them.
I've been running 275/19's on rear but switching to 315/20's once I get my Steeda Spyders squared away.
18's isn't a bad idea but go as wide as possible cuz nothing is gonna stick! Lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have talked with him about his issues. I have pretty much come to agreement on vmp and I will go with their tuning since I havent had issues doing tunes that way so far. Now the only hard part is deciding if it is a good idea or not given the situation I will be in with school. I appreciate all the help and I look forward to updating, hopefully with pictures and experiences of the supercharger and not some lame I will save money story =[]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts