Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start with our Little Pony has 95,000+ miles now. She started to wear the tires on the inside all of sudden real bad, especially the right front. NO we didn't hit anything. The car seamed to make more noise on rough roads (all roads up hear in Nor-Cal are pretty rough now) and we could feel it try to follow irregularities in the road. I am 70 now and jobs I used to tackle are tough on me. I called the front end shop that I trust and take Little Pony to for front end alignment for a quote to do control arms and strut tower bearings and alignment. HOLYCRAP, I was shocked. $1500.00 Well, I said to myself, looks like i'm ordering the parts and doing the job myself. Ordered the parts from LMR, great prices fast shipping. Parts came and I started the job Wednesday. Just finished today at noon. That was a difficult job to do with out a lift. Even with a lift it would be tough. I see the shop would have earned their money. The factory had some bolt and nuts torqued so tight that I broke a wrench loosening one of the bolts on the right control arm. Ridiculousness. Welded it back together and finished the job. Still have to have the new tires mounted and the alignment done but a short drive tells me it is going to be good again. WOW what a job. Grandpaw is getting to old to crawl around on the floor and underneath the car anymore I guess. That was a big job for Grandpaw:hide:

·
Registered
70 Posts
wow, your abatar is a Czechoslovakian wolf dog? wonderfull
y have to check bushings, control arms , and struts....... uffff

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a Czech wolf dog but an American North Pacific Silver Fox. We have a whole family that lives behind our house. You should have seen when Mom and Dad brought them out to play this spring. What a show.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on my control arm job. Took Little Pony in for the front alignment and new tire install today. Results are as follows: inbound caster left 7.0 specs @ 6.3 to 7.8 final 7.0
right 7.3 6.3 7.8 7.3
camber left -1.4 -1.5 0.0 -1.2
right -1.5 -1.5 0.0 -1.3
toe left 13/32 0 3/32 1/16
right 9/32 0 3/32 1/16
She drives and handles like new again. Put the New Nitto Motivo Ultra High Performance All Season 255/45ZR 18s on her. Very happy with the way they feel and drive. Fairly quiet too. Good to have the little horse in good shape again.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Update on my control arm job. Took Little Pony in for the front alignment and new tire install today. Results are as follows: inbound caster left 7.0 specs @ 6.3 to 7.8 final 7.0
right 7.3 6.3 7.8 7.3
camber left -1.4 -1.5 0.0 -1.2
right -1.5 -1.5 0.0 -1.3
toe left 13/32 0 3/32 1/16
right 9/32 0 3/32 1/16
She drives and handles like new again. Put the New Nitto Motivo Ultra High Performance All Season 255/45ZR 18s on her. Very happy with the way they feel and drive. Fairly quiet too. Good to have the little horse in good shape again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice work. I just recently replaced my front lower control arms and outer tie rods, also in the garage. It was a huge pain in the *** and probably my least favorite task I've completed on my car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, Thanks for sharing. I have been putting off my front control job for a few months because it was so hot this summer in NC. I have the parts and may think about getting a shop to do it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
una pregunta, los silentblocks (bushing creo que los llamais) de los brazos y bieletas, son faciles de sacar para cambiar? o hay que comprar toda la pieza? , este fin de semana, me toca lubricarlos con aceite de silicona, para eliminar el ruido a cama vieja cuando paso por un vaden

·
Registered
15 Posts
una pregunta, los silentblocks (bushing creo que los llamais) de los brazos y bieletas, son faciles de sacar para cambiar? o hay que comprar toda la pieza? , este fin de semana, me toca lubricarlos con aceite de silicona, para eliminar el ruido a cama vieja cuando paso por un vaden
Pelayo, I would recommend watching some videos on YouTube. ChrisFix has some good videos on changing the bushings. Also, you'll want to rent or borrow a control arm bushing removal tool. In the U.S. we can borrow them from Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. I'm not sure if they have something similar in Spain.

·
Registered
70 Posts
thank you very much @DUDE Stand, here we rent a space what we call boxes, it is elevator and the necessary tool for about 30USD per hour ... I will watch the videos.
I have sprayed them with silicone WD40 and it has improved a lot. I have the front of the stabilizer bar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts