Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about converting my 06 auto trans to manual . Is it a lot of work and would I have to get a new transmission and new drive shaft . I know I would have to put a clutch in and new shifter what else would I have to do and what kind of numbers $am I looking at any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
It be alot cheaper to just buy a 5 speed v8 stang theres alot of work plus wiring harness issue so that ur car wont turn on when ur clutch is not push in dont do the swap buy a 5 speed already done it save u the headache

·
Banned
510 Posts
Stangv8ny said:
It be alot cheaper to just buy a 5 speed v8 stang theres alot of work plus wiring harness issue so that ur car wont turn on when ur clutch is not push in dont do the swap buy a 5 speed already done it save u the headache
What he said

·
Registered
916 Posts
It's actually not that bad. I did the whole swap. The labor was done by a local speed shop. If you know how to shop around and go on different forums you can piece it together. basically, it costed me about 4500 with labor and parts. I bought the clutch, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, and pressure plate new. I also had to buy a new wiring harness which was about 120 bucks. Other than that the rest of the parts were lightly used with low miles. From a member on the s197forum I got the pedals, driveshaft, tranny, cross member, hurst shifter with boot, and a few other things I can't remember. The stock automatic driveshaft can be used with the manual tranny so technically u don't need another driveshaft. My mechanic didn't trust the other stock driveshaft. I have a write up of all the parts needed to do the swap that I could email you if you want.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Stang23 said:
It's actually not that bad. I did the whole swap. The labor was done by a local speed shop. If you know how to shop around and go on different forums you can piece it together. basically, it costed me about 4500 with labor and parts. I bought the clutch, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, and pressure plate new. I also had to buy a new wiring harness which was about 120 bucks. Other than that the rest of the parts were lightly used with low miles. From a member on the s197forum I got the pedals, driveshaft, tranny, cross member, hurst shifter with boot, and a few other things I can't remember. The stock automatic driveshaft can be used with the manual tranny so technically u don't need another driveshaft. My mechanic didn't trust the other stock driveshaft. I have a write up of all the parts needed to do the swap that I could email you if you want.
How much could you get for trading an 06 auto + $4,620 for an 07 or 08 5spd? I think you'd come out ahead and have no headaches.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Ya thats true. But in my case didnt make sense. Cuz my car has a lot of mods and i didnt feel like demodding it then trading it in and then buying a mustang with a five speed and modding it again. If you have pretty much a stock mustang then ya it might be easier just to trade it in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Stang23 said:
Ya thats true. But in my case didnt make sense. Cuz my car has a lot of mods and i didnt feel like demodding it then trading it in and then buying a mustang with a five speed and modding it again. If you have pretty much a stock mustang then ya it might be easier just to trade it in.
If you've still got the stock parts you could just get your car back to stock, trade for a 5-speed, then put the aftermarket stuff on the new car.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
TheAdrianHand said:
If you've still got the stock parts you could just get your car back to stock, trade for a 5-speed, then put the aftermarket stuff on the new car.
Yea that's true, but what if he had longtubes, cams, gears then it would cost money to take those parts off. But yea it's better to try to sell you're car and get a 5spd because it might be more money to do the whole swap and you always run into problems

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know what it sounds like a lot maybe I will just get a rachet shifter lol thanks saved me a whole lot of waisted time .maybe I will trade it in for the 2013 :).

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Stang23 said:
Wouldn't de-modding take less time than a conversion to 5 speed? It's a huge project on a modern car. I think you love your car now, but really want it to be 5 speed. I can understand that.

·
Banned
510 Posts
Pattyboy said:
You know what it sounds like a lot maybe I will just get a rachet shifter lol thanks saved me a whole lot of waisted time .maybe I will trade it in for the 2013 :).
New 5.0s rip. saw one at the track with a blower and slicks run a 10.9. That's no bull****.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I always had manual but when I bought the 06 I thought of all the traffic I am in all the time so I went with the auto . I miss it a lot at times when there is no traffic . Lol maybe I will try the rachet shifter before I think about selling it . See if it makes me content

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pattyboy said:
I always had manual but when I bought the 06 I thought of all the traffic I am in all the time so I went with the auto . I miss it a lot at times when there is no traffic . Lol maybe I will try the rachet shifter before I think about selling it . See if it makes me content
An better option would be the 6-speed swap from blow by racing. They use mt-82 transmission, which is the same thing that's in the 5.0

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have been thinking about converting my 06 auto trans to manual . Is it a lot of work and would I have to get a new transmission and new drive shaft . I know I would have to put a clutch in and new shifter what else would I have to do and what kind of numbers $am I looking at any help would be great thanks
If you do let me know what you want for the auto,,I like to have one I can build to handle more power,,and just put in ,,then pull mine out and build it

·
Registered
916 Posts
Alonzo.dargan1 said:
An better option would be the 6-speed swap from blow by racing. They use mt-82 transmission, which is the same thing that's in the 5.0
The mt-82 doesn't work in an 05-09. That's for the new 5.0's. Blow by racing sells the tr-6060 conversion for our models and its a better tranny than the mt-82. I know people who hate the mt-82 and one of my friends has an 11 with an mt-82 and he can't wait until it goes out to upgrade it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Stang23 said:
The mt-82 doesn't work in an 05-09. That's for the new 5.0's. Blow by racing sells the tr-6060 conversion for our models and its a better tranny than the mt-82. I know people who hate the mt-82 and one of my friends has an 11 with an mt-82 and he can't wait until it goes out to upgrade it.
Yea u just looked at it again, my mistake.... Does anyone has this setup? Looking at buying it, but I want to know how it runs in our cars.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Alonzo.dargan1 said:
Yea u just looked at it again, my mistake.... Does anyone has this setup? Looking at buying it, but I want to know how it runs in our cars.
It's a great tranny. Smooth precise shifts and can handle a good amount of power. I'm going to be upgrading to this in a few months.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts