Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a hypothetical so please no "why would you", "that's stupid", etc

This isn't about actually doing it, but more the possibility.

What do you think it would take (would even be possible) to convert a 2013 V6 to a GT or even more boldly a GT500?
Of course we are talking about a new engine, but what else do you think would need to be upgraded?
Would the actual body be able to withstand the extra power of say a supercharged GT500?

A new driveshaft would be needed of course, as the current one can not even handle the power the V6 can put out (hence the limiter)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Engine, trans, rear end, harness, ecu, fuel system

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
No need to change the rear end, all Mustangs now have the 8.8" rear end. And the fuel system is the same, except for the GT500 I believe which may have a higher capacity pump.

If you can get a donor car the swap is a lot easier because you will have most of the miscellaneous parts (different cooling lines, AC lines, etc). Lots of people have done the swap on 2005-10, including swapping the GT500 engine in Over at The Mustang Collective Forums - Powered by vBulletin there is a section with the details on the swap for 2005-10. As far as I know, no one has done the swap on a 2011+ yet, but it is possible to do.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Front suspension I'm guessing.
I know the mounts are the same. but the brackets that connect to the mounts are different. don't ask me how or why I know that ;P

one thing i need to know, do the bellhousings have the same bolt pattern?
if so, you can "recycle" your v6's tranny. if not, you'll have to get a new one for the gt,

and the gt500 has a different tranny.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

No need to change the rear end, all Mustangs now have the 8.8" rear end. And the fuel system is the same, except for the GT500 I believe which may have a higher capacity pump.

If you can get a donor car the swap is a lot easier because you will have most of the miscellaneous parts (different cooling lines, AC lines, etc). Lots of people have done the swap on 2005-10, including swapping the GT500 engine in Over at The Mustang Collective Forums - Powered by vBulletin there is a section with the details on the swap for 2005-10. As far as I know, no one has done the swap on a 2011+ yet, but it is possible to do.
if you can spot me cash, i'd be more than happy to do a 13 gt500 swap :p

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amen to that!
Someone can spot me the cash and I will detail all of it for them, pimp the crap out of their brand, and even make sweet sweet love to them if they want (or promise not to if that makes them more willing to sponsor me)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Amen to that!
Someone can spot me the cash and I will detail all of it for them, pimp the crap out of their brand, and even make sweet sweet love to them if they want (or promise not to if that makes them more willing to sponsor me)
Gotta do what you gotta do.

Kinda reminds me of something recent
My friend is looking to buy a stang, and he was 1k short of one a really clean 01 GT
I told him that if he sleeps with the guy, he might talk him down :p

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I know the mounts are the same. but the brackets that connect to the mounts are different. don't ask me how or why I know that ;P

one thing i need to know, do the bellhousings have the same bolt pattern?
if so, you can "recycle" your v6's tranny. if not, you'll have to get a new one for the gt,

and the gt500 has a different tranny.
While the V6 and GT use the same transmission, the bell housings are different and they aren't interchangeable. So you need the GT transmission.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Thie is way tooooo easy to do

First, Fill the trunk up with Money. I mean full.

Second, Drive to Las Vegas

Third, Go to Shelby America

Forth, Tell them exactly what you want.

Fifth, Give them the trunk full of money.

sixth, just wait

seventh, pick up your GT, GT500, Shelby, Super snake or whichever you told them you wanted. Just don't expect getting any change from that trunkfull of money.

See how easy that was, ???

Ronnie:lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

sixth, just wait

seventh, pick up your GT, GT500, Shelby, Super snake or whichever you told them you wanted. Just don't expect getting any change from that trunkfull of money.

Hahaha

Now to just find that trunk full of money :)

·
Dragon Tail Master
1,354 Posts
Here is someone that put the list together on his V6 going to the Coyote, A mear $16,442.
paddedwall.org -

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Here is someone that put the list together on his V6 going to the Coyote, A mear $16,442.
paddedwall.org -
Padded wall is right. No one who does this kind of swap buys all new components from Ford. That guy said the only way he would do it is buying everything new off the shelf because he wouldn't put used parts in his car. If you do it the way most people would - buy a donor car and limit how much you have to buy new from Ford, then you can do it for a heck of a lot less than his estimate.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
This is why I'm torn between doing a 302 motor swap or just popping a new 3.7l in cause it'll be supercharged and probably easier. If be happy to say I run 11's and still have a DD

·
Premium Member
5,320 Posts
See everything I've read just states your cheaper trading up, but the Mustang especially the S197's makes it so nice because the engine bay is wide open for a modern car. And if your happy with the car why not.

Don't know about the new ones but to go the GT500 route you need a bigger fuel pump

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts

sixth, just wait

The latest issue of Fast Fords...Mustangs just did an article on the Shelby. Basically, they take a new GT (priced at around $32,000.00), and for the additional $39,000.00, they build you a Shelby. Then you add a few more options. This was back in 2011 I think the article stated.

So, for about $70,000.000, you have a basic Shelby, then you tick off a few more options. You'll be at $100,000.000 before you sign the final papers.

If I won the lotto, I'd have one, but for now, I sure like my V6!

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
See everything I've read just states your cheaper trading up, but the Mustang especially the S197's makes it so nice because the engine bay is wide open for a modern car. And if your happy with the car why not.

Don't know about the new ones but to go the GT500 route you need a bigger fuel pump
I believe I read that the Shelby's use two fuel pumps to our one. It's a thirsty devil!

·
Registered
803 Posts
If your considering a motor swap, dont make it a GT's 5.0 or even the GT500 motor... Do something absolutely ridiculous that will be like nothing else.... Go big or go home

1 - 20 of 23 Posts