Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is straight piped and is really loud kina too loud and i was thinking about taking my converters and burning out one of the honey combs in the converter since there are two. if i do this will my car be louder than if i dont burn one out. it makes since to me. advice?

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
corey herron said:
my car is straight piped and is really loud kina too loud and i was thinking about taking my converters and burning out one of the honey combs in the converter since there are two. if i do this will my car be louder than if i dont burn one out. it makes since to me. advice?
This post is confusing... You're talking about catalytic converters obviously. And you have no mufflers? Is that what you mean by straight pipe? I usually take that to mean no catalytic converters either.

Honey combs? Is that a reference to the catalytic material inside the converters? And it sounds to me like you wanna hollow one out but not the other since there are two.

I'm not trying to be mean but I'm really confused and am trying to clarify

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i have mufflers but no cats and yeah i mean catalytic material. i was wondering if on both cats that if i were to take just one of the catalytic material out of each one. if i were to do this would my car be louder than if both of the catalytic material is them?

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
I've never really heard of anyone doing that, but yea it will be louder for sure with only half of the material in there. If you want quieter but still aggressive looks for mellow muffler and remain catless or put cats on and find aggressive mufflers, just my .02

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
it's called gutting a cat..it's a pretty common practice for people wanting to go catless but pass a visual examination. It'll be louder then it is now by a good bit

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
1slosix said:
it's called gutting a cat..it's a pretty common practice for people wanting to go catless but pass a visual examination. It'll be louder then it is now by a good bit
From what he's talking about he only wants to gut half of it, I took it as he only wants to take out half of the catalytic material as opposed to all of it... Have you ever heard of that?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
i see what you're saying and i have to say that's pointless...either do it all or not at all is my opinion

·
Registered
638 Posts
No offense sounds kinda dumb to me...why don't you just put a muffler on cause the way I think about it is your left bank is gonna run a lot more free and your right won't...to me it's like trying to get big but only working out your left side either do both or none

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i love the old muscle car sound it puts out without the cats but its gets pretty loud. and i didnt know my stang comes with a stock h pipe so im not worried bout get a new exhaust setup. just wanna do simple modifications to keep the old muscle car sound but i wanna keep it a little more quiet than what it is now. any suggestions

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so your sayin just keep the cats off and still get mufflers so quiet it down some?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yep I have longtube headers no cats x pipe and borla s type mufflers and it's not loud untill I open it up...I mean it's louder than stock but gets crazy wide open

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i have stock mufflers. would it quiet my car down if i put different exhaust on it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
corey herron said:
well i have stock mufflers. would it quiet my car down if i put different exhaust on it?
Just depends on the muffler. If your gonna go the borla s type route and have no cats on your stock h it's gonna be loud but deep throaty..I have an offroad x pipe and sss terminator mufflers and mine is raspy but that's what I like..if you want it quiet you probably need to stick to a regular type of muffler with baffles and the whole nine yards lol or something around that type...I was also confused on your question...another route you could go to quiet it down is put a resonator on each side it may help mellow it out...Idonno just my 2 cents...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts