Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Here is my problem…I have an 01 Convertible and last week when I was putting my top down my rear window just shattered. Nice huh? Just in case you are wondering there was nothing in the way or in the well where it sits. So after finding out that no ordinary glass shop will put in the window because you apparently have to take off the entire top to replace the window, I have consulted several upholstery shops about the job. I have had estimates from $600 in labor down to $360…I did have one quote at $200 but the guy didn’t sound like he had a clue what he was doing so I’ve deleted him from the list. So my questions are…has anyone ever had this happen to them or am I just the lucky one? And has anyone ever attempted to replace the window themselves and how hard of a job is it. I am fairly competent when it comes to cars but this is an area which I have never tackled. The top is in excellent condition and I don’t feel that the whole thing needs to be replaced. I do put my top up and down at least once a day ( yes I am blessed to live in a very nice climate!) I am wondering since the top is already broken in would it be somewhat easier since I won’t need to stretch it tight and I can just go by the folds and creases that are already in it. Sorry for the length of this message but I wanted to make sure that I got all the pertinent info to anyone who can help. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
putting down your windows first reduces the chances of shattering your windows.. the bending points in the top are not where they should be .. sucks but its something i ALWAYS do. my girlfriend did it withut putting down the windows once and i "spoke" to her about it.
im sure you obviously realize this now. but just incase.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts