Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today while i was doing coolant change, i only manage to get about 1gallon and a 1quart out of the radiator through peacock. I had the car idle for 45minute while squeezing the upper and lower radiator hose and even rev alittle. The radiator fan came on at least 5 times in the process but I could only put back 1 gallon of new coolant. Am i missing something?

oh almost forgot to mention for some reason having heater on max, air vent air sometime is hot sometimes is not.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You have trapped air/old coolant. It’s a PITA at times.

Something like this is a good investment.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have trapped air/old coolant. It’s a PITA at times.

Something like this is a good investment.
I was planning to get one, wanted to try it out manually first. i havent drove it yet, maybe driving it around will burp the system. The reservoir seems self burp, i wonder if it will burp with cap on driving around.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It will eventually work through most of it. What Concerns me (weather warranted or not) is hot spots that happen because of the pockets of air.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will eventually work through most of it. What Concerns me (weather warranted or not) is hot spots that happen because of the pockets of air.
With car in motion these hot spots where air traps likely to move around too. What kind of damage will it cause?

·
Registered
428 Posts
With car in motion these hot spots where air traps likely to move around too. What kind of damage will it cause?
That’s the sixty-four thousand dollar question. It may cause no damage at all, and most likely won’t, or it may cause rather serious damage.

I’m guessing you’ll be okay, but it’s not worth the roll of the dice for me personally.

Some people have done this many times, with no ill effects. I just prefer to err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning when i went to check my coolant level it was the same but what was surprising was as i open the cap it release a great amount of air suction. The level from max dropped down to min. I also took it out for a spin and will be checking the levels again tonight or tomorrow once its cooled down. The air vent was hot the whole time during drive too. I think i did it but probably need to change my coolant couple times every 6month or so to get the last 2 gallons of old coolant out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts