Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so the leak is coming from my thermostat housing..the autozone man said to replace a gasket and that will fix it..well then he said that it doesn't have a gasket?? And that I will have to buy a whole new plenum to fix this??? Is this a $200 fix or a cheap fix? If u have questions please ask them bc I need help on this. It seems to be oozing out the front but the back is squirting it out whenever I get high rpms

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Okay so the leak is coming from my thermostat housing..the autozone man said to replace a gasket and that will fix it..well then he said that it doesn't have a gasket?? And that I will have to buy a whole new plenum to fix this??? Is this a $200 fix or a cheap fix? If u have questions please ask them bc I need help on this. It seems to be oozing out the front but the back is squirting it out whenever I get high rpms
What year is your car?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Same thing happened to me. It's the whole thing. I had to put a new manifold. The crack was on the thermostat housing by the upper radiator hose.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
charlie03fastGT said:
Same thing happened to me. It's the whole thing. I had to put a new manifold. The crack was on the thermostat housing by the upper radiator hose.
U had to get a new housing?? Mines at the bottom,I'm scared if I buy the whole plenum that it's still ganna be messed up and it coulda been a simple fix and I culda just used the money for foglights

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
charlie03fastGT said:
I had to get a new intake manifold.
I don't see a crack anywhere it's like leaking from the bottom idk. In the pic it's that little crack that's going across the whole thing. I'm about to edit a pic

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The inner wall of the intake manifold flange, between the thermostat housing and the head, has deteriorated allowing the formed gasket to pop out into the coolant passage--is it exactly what happened on my '03 and many other GTs as they near/pass 100k miles:

A new intake manifold is the easy fix, but NOT the Dorman manifold sold by the FLAPS--get the FRPP unit.

I ordered the FRPP replacement but got antsy and repaired mine with JB-Weld by separating the crossover and manifold, scraping it down to solid plastic, degreasing and then re-assembling with no gaskets and JB-Weld:

It has been fine for 35k miles now, and will of course never fail now that I have the new one in the attic...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cliffyk said:
The inner wall of the intake manifold flange, between the thermostat housing and the head, has deteriorated allowing the formed gasket to pop out into the coolant passage--is it exactly what happened on my '03 and many other GTs as they near/pass 100k miles:

A new intake manifold is the easy fix, but NOT the Dorman manifold sold by the FLAPS--get the FRPP unit.

I ordered the FRPP replacement but got antsy and repaired mine with JB-Weld by separating the crossover and manifold, scraping it down to solid plastic, degreasing and then re-assembling with no gaskets and JB-Weld:

It has been fine for 35k miles now, and will of course never fail now that I have the new one in the attic...
Yea I'm at 108 miles now. Oh well. Ima order the intake manifold off of American muscle. Thanks for the help guys!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Could a cracked manifold cause a hissing sound? Cause my car hisses at idle super loud but nothing at acceleration or if i rev up the motor even just a little

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MineralGrayGT said:
Could a cracked manifold cause a hissing sound? Cause my car hisses at idle super loud but nothing at acceleration or if i rev up the motor even just a little
Mine hisses when i first crank it but then I stops after a minute or so. Only on a cold start in the mornings.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yes! Try spraying some throttle cleaner around the intake manifold where the hiss is coming from while the car is at idle to see if your rpms go up. If it does then yes it's probably a cracked manifold. If not check vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Is the shipping free though??? And is it the same thing?
It is the same manifold, they were $169 1-1/2 years ago. I do not know if the shipping is free, easy enough to find out...

·
Registered
540 Posts
My manifold broke at the heater core feed line at the nipple on the left rear of the manifold. Damn ford for their plastic ass intake. I bought my 2000 gt off the showroom floor for around 17500. A few hundred more for a metal intake would not have made any differance to me. But It would have saved me money later. It's an engineering failure that ford should have recalled. Greedy sobs

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I agree that it's a PITA when it happens, however a $250 repair on an (in my case) 8 year-old automobile is not something one should find to be all that unusual. That works out to a whopping $31.25 per year.

Or in terms most men can understand, about 1/2 of a pony keg of Budweiser...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts