Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I painted my key...looks nice for about 3 weeks. Now I ruined the buttons while sanding. I'm just gonna learn from the ignorance, and buy a new one. Can I get the blank key made at say, Walmart or Home Depot? I'd rather not do my local dealer. They suck at customer service and matters like this.

·
Banned
2,785 Posts
Ok so I painted my key...looks nice for about 3 weeks. Now I ruined the buttons while sanding. I'm just gonna learn from the ignorance, and buy a new one. Can I get the blank key made at say, Walmart or Home Depot? I'd rather not do my local dealer. They suck at customer service and matters like this.
Walmart should be able to make it, don't know about home depot tho

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I would by the Key off of Ebay and then take it to anyone that cuts keys.
Then you will need to program it with both of the keys that came with your car.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Will a standard key work? I thought there was a chip or something inside that is required to start the car.
You can have them made to just unlock the car or to unlock and start.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can have them made to just unlock the car or to unlock and start.
Yeah the place I'm getting it from also includes instructions. I don't use the mykey feature anymore. The chip is in the inside. Not on the key part. Correct? I would take to the dealer I bought it but, damn. 2 hours for a key?

·
Registered
809 Posts
And there Luke 400 bucks if I remember correctly... That's what my dealer said at least

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And there Luke 400 bucks if I remember correctly... That's what my dealer said at least
I found them for 99.99. The boss 302 set is $302. I highly doubt a standard key will be over $100. I'm fine with paying that $100 too. My ignorance taught me something. Google first.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found it for $99/$100. It's oem too. I'm wondering if it could be made at Home Depot or Walmart or somewhere like that. Small town, small choices. It's not like the old Taurus where they had a tiny chip in them. I think its all in the inside. I have paint mist on it and it still works fine.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
WalMart or Home Depot around here wouldn't even try to cut the key. It didn't fit in their machine. I went to the locksmith and they cut it. Only chraged me a dollar

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WalMart or Home Depot around here wouldn't even try to cut the key. It didn't fit in their machine. I went to the locksmith and they cut it. Only chraged me a dollar
No locksmiths round here :/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just out of curiosity, nothing negative, but why did you paint your key?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just out of curiosity, nothing negative, but why did you paint your key?
Lawl, but seriously. A GT owner air brushed his. And it looks damn good. High high high end cars like Ferrari and some Porsches have color matched keys. It looked nice when I first did it but it wore off. I re did it. Then after that looked like crap I plasti dipped it. My God that was an amazing job for two coats. Now I peeled it off and sanded it down. I'm gonna put a race red cover over it and either live with it or order a new one. Depends on my mood toward the cover.

I'm learning that doing research is always key and ignorantly going into a project is a bad idea. Here is why....

Attachments

·
Banned
2,785 Posts
Lawl, but seriously. A GT owner air brushed his. And it looks damn good. High high high end cars like Ferrari and some Porsches have color matched keys. It looked nice when I first did it but it wore off. I re did it. Then after that looked like crap I plasti dipped it. My God that was an amazing job for two coats. Now I peeled it off and sanded it down. I'm gonna put a race red cover over it and either live with it or order a new one. Depends on my mood toward the cover.

I'm learning that doing research is always key and ignorantly going into a project is a bad idea. Here is why....
Yikes! Umm don't the keys come apart??

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Read the owners manual on how to program a new key if required.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
White Lightning is my hero

I'm telling you that White Lightning is no different then I was when I was his age. He is not afraid to tackle anything he wants to do. When he does screw up he admits it and asks for help in getting things back on track. I have been following his posts since I joined this forum and admit I have learned a lot.

White You are a true "CAR GUY" :good::good::good:

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yikes! Umm don't the keys come apart??
Yes. You can buy a new housing but with my string of bad luck with the project, I'd be minus one key

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

3 threads, and lots of advice. If only I had this before instead of during.

Don't get me wrong. It looks nice, but unless a body shop does it and clears it, its not gonna last. :( I just bought a red silicone cover

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re did in black. Ill use fine sand paper then hit it one more time then glossifier. So at least if any peels through the cover, it will be black.

F- first
A- attempt
I - in
L- learning.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts