Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a heck of a time finding headers that fit my 69 with a coyote and 6R80 auto transmission.

ive tried stock but they hit the frame rails even after cutting and turning the collector 180 deg, then tried dougs headers made for coyote swap and that hits the transmission and wont seat at the manifold. emailed MTF and they dont know if it will fit with the 6R80,
Anybody successfully do one of these yet?
im posting this on other forums to try to get opinions.
thx

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Good exhaust shop and custom. That is going to be a SICK setup tho man, have you ever posted pics? 69 Stang is probably my favorite "muscle car" and Coyote with a 6R=great engine and trans choice.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Dude that thing is going to be legendary...... Yeah custom headers on that thing for sure.

Any possibility of putting a Boss or CJ intake on it? Boss cams too while its easy to get at it?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Man you already have a ton of time in this project. Will be a sweet ride when you're done with it. Love my 69. My son and I had talked about doing a coyote swap on a gen 1 mustang. Hope you'll keep us posted of your progress. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
I built some LTH's for a friends 32 Ford HighBoy and made them to fit inside the frame rails and fit around the 4R70. I'll try and post some pictures as I'm going over Tuesday.
It looks like you are pretty handy with sheet metal and now would be a great chance to fab your own LTH's. If you have some custom made and done right you'll spend $1k to $2k and they'll need the car for some time. If the muffler shop doesn't have a mandrel bender don't bother. You can buy a plastic fab kit to mock up the headers just like you want them and send them to be made. Kooks along with other good manufacturers will build them for you and you may even do a deal since they will be for a 69/Coyote/R80 swap...worth asking IMHO

Ask.com - What's your Question?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I built some LTH's for a friends 32 Ford HighBoy and made them to fit inside the frame rails and fit around the 4R70. I'll try and post some pictures as I'm going over Tuesday.
It looks like you are pretty handy with sheet metal and now would be a great chance to fab your own LTH's. If you have some custom made and done right you'll spend $1k to $2k and they'll need the car for some time. If the muffler shop doesn't have a mandrel bender don't bother. You can buy a plastic fab kit to mock up the headers just like you want them and send them to be made. Kooks along with other good manufacturers will build them for you and you may even do a deal since they will be for a 69/Coyote/R80 swap...worth asking IMHO

Ask.com - What's your Question?

thanks guys,
yep, pretty handy with metal, i own a metal shop :)
where can i find the plastic header kit?

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Icengineworks Header Modeling Blocks, 1625 Basic 1-5/8, Turbo Manifold

Two people that changed my way of building headers, Chris from SPD and Barney Navarro both told me that "bigger is not always better" and I think with the 1-5/8 primary tubing will allow a little more room. You can always step them if you have room. The length and angle of the merge collector also makes a huge difference in performance...IMHO

·
Registered
56 Posts
Saw the pictures, very impressive dude. It's definitely going to be an awesome ride. Good luck and keep us posted, want to see the final product for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Ouch, kit costs as much as headers :)
Off the shelf generic headers are somewhat inexpensive although quality headers like Kooks will cost you $700/$1000...custom headers will cost you even more as they are designed for your car and motor. Spending $400 for the kit, another $1k for someone to mandrel bend the SS pipes and weld them up or you can make your own if you have access to a mandrel bender and even save more money.
If you've never built a set of custom LTH...I can tell you it's very time consuming.
SPD builds quite a few Cup Car full exhaust systems...they cost $7,000 plus.
Or you can just hack up some off the shelf headers and call it good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Off the shelf generic headers are somewhat inexpensive although quality headers like Kooks will cost you $700/$1000...custom headers will cost you even more as they are designed for your car and motor. Spending $400 for the kit, another $1k for someone to mandrel bend the SS pipes and weld them up or you can make your own if you have access to a mandrel bender and even save more money.
If you've never built a set of custom LTH...I can tell you it's very time consuming.
SPD builds quite a few Cup Car full exhaust systems...they cost $7,000 plus.
Or you can just hack up some off the shelf headers and call it good.
yea, I think im gonna hack up some of the dougs headers, $500 if they work ill send them to get ceramic coated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts