Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car dealers in this area will not touch Mustangs, T-birds or cougars with 3.8 v6's in them as they say that the engine has problems with the heads or head gasket problems. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

·
Registered
231 Posts
In short, don't deal with dealers that stupid or ignorant.
In long, the 94-95 had gasket problems that caused alot of problems. That is it.

To your issue, how will they not touch them?
Won't fix your car, buy your car, change the oil because of head problems? What are you trying to get done?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a chance to buy another 95 and I am trying to decide if I should. The 95 V6 that I have now has not had any problems. When you say that they have had alot of gasket problems, which ones and how do you correct the problem?

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Basically all of them when you start adding HP,
but that is a good excuse to pull the heads and
get ported ones, and change the cam and intakes
at the same time!

I have heard of hi-mile 94-95 stangs not having HG problems,
but they were drove really easy and not subjected to HP adding
stuff. UDP's and CAI would not really hurt anything, but driving
it hard will stress the HG's and probably make them give out.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
It was just not 94-95 mustang but all Ford cars and vans from 89 to 95 with the 3.8 motor with the except the T bird SC. Ford fixed the head problems early in 96 and 97 and up had no problems at all. Iwas was a combination of problems. One problem was the head gaskets the other was the water jacket design had holes to close to the cylinders. The head changed fixed it for good. As Robert said owners that seemed to have no problem soon did when they add performance parts and drove their cars harder. Erick (EVal) had problems as soon as installed his Supercharger

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Danger Dude said:
Erick (EVal) had problems as soon as installed his Supercharger
like we told him it would!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I think he just wanted the excuse that he had to
change his HG, cuz his momma would not let him! :shock:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
DMustanger said:
Car dealers in this area will not touch Mustangs, T-birds or cougars with 3.8 v6's in them as they say that the engine has problems with the heads or head gasket problems. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
If your really worried about it, take it to a engine shop and tell them to throw on some Fel-Pro Headgaskets and some APR Head bolts.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Dom said:
I guess thet were meant to hold a little more power.

All I really know about head gaskets are that they are the most important gasket on the entire engine.
there are lots of "important" gaskets.

Head gaskets are meant to hold the most pressure/beating than any others. Thus why the 99+ ones are 3 layer metal gaskets. and most others on the engine are paper/rubber.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Well for nitrous and supercharger or for plain beefy application SC head gaskets are the best. Go get them at any Ford dealer

·
Registered
567 Posts
Danger Dude said:
Well for nitrous and supercharger or for plain beefy application SC head gaskets are the best. Go get them at any Ford dealer

lol but WHY. What makes them the best. Not "just because"...

Not many people have blown 99+ head gaskets. The few that have (milan) experience their heads lifting and then blowing the gasket....which means they have more problems other than a gasket.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Well Mikael, Pete as well as 3 Ford mechanics told me they would hold up best. With you having Mikael's Heads he did not tell you about the gaskets

·
Registered
567 Posts
no. I specified OEM instead of the fel-pro's he carries.

Im not doubting you Im just wondering what actually makes them stronger.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts